Draw parametric 3d sketch

Umnik

I need to develop several models of the great pyramids with different main angles. For that I need to prepare precise geometry for all the parts in IronCAD. Parts shall have connectors, therefore it is not trivial task. The ideal solution that I want is create a parametric 3d sketch. Such as following, but for 3d path:

image.png.7499f320b190f50944d3a803e88c5082.png

As I know, IronCAD doesn't have 3d sketch tool. Can you recommend some IronCAD's tools to create a parametric editable pyramid frame, which will allow recalculate all the geometry along the new path?
image.thumb.png.ffdb3053a6e8e3e891488caa565d5d1f.png

Edited by Umnik

I don't think there's a way to parametrically control 3D curves in IronCAD.

Are you aware of the pyramid shape in Shapes catalog? Or alternatively taking a Cube and applying a Draft at the feature level.
Then you can control the angle of the pyramid with a Draft parameter, and the size with the Sizebox.

If you can explain in a bit more detail what the end model needs to achieve I might be able to help more.

Do the attached images and video represent what you are trying to achieve? That is, allowing you to extract path lengths of the 3D curves?

This is a parametric "Structured Part" that uses a "Pyramid" Intellishape (from the Shapes Catalog) as the base shape, for driving the rest of the model. I have modified the 2D sketch within the Pyramid Intellishape to allow you to change the angle (as per your sketch).

With the base Pyramid Intellishape in place, you can use the "Extract Curve" tool, which is found in the "Surface" tab of the Ribbon Menu. Because it is a Structured Part, the created 3D curves remain associated to the Pyramid Intellishape.

If you're not familiar with creating Structured Parts, I can create a step-by-step video of this particular model if wanted. It is important to remember that Structured Parts need to be "Set as Active" to be able to add any new shapes or features.

I've also attached the ICS file (created in IC2020).

Malcolm

3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid - Angle 160 - Vertical Middle Overall Path Length.PNG

3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid - Angle 180 - Base Overall Path Length.PNG

3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid - Angle 180 - Vertical Corners Overall Path Length.PNG

3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid - Angle 180.PNG

3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid.ics

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

19 hours ago, Malcolm Crowe said:

Do the attached images and video represent what you are trying to achieve? That is, allowing you to extract path lengths of the 3D curves?

If you're not familiar with creating Structured Parts, I can create a step-by-step video of this particular model if wanted. It is important to remember that Structured Parts need to be "Set as Active" to be able to add any new shapes or features.

Thank you very much Malcolm!

It is useful information for me. Now I have two problems: I cannot understand how exactly did you do that new pyramid  cross-section based on a circle. Sketches in IronCAD are not so intuitive tool.

The second issue is that I need directly set the pyramid faces angles, not via the height and width, because the precise angles are the main thing while developing the pyramid. Of course then I will measure all the final part sizes, but angles are main in this work. Therefore I cannot use the way you suggest, although the method you showed will be useful to me in the future.

Due to the angles problem, I can suggest that I need use your 2d cross-section, but then attach a plane to each line of the sketch and then extract a 3d intersection curve of the planes.

I'm pleased that I'm on the wrong track. I can create a step-by-step video to demonstrate in more detail.

Regarding the faces angles, are these the 4 faces that meet at the top (when the angle in the base sketch is set to 180 degrees)?

Are these angles also measured from the base? A sketch showing the driving angles and dimensions you need would be helpful.

It may be easier to achieve what you want than you realize.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

49 minutes ago, Malcolm Crowe said:

I'm pleased that I'm on the wrong track. I can create a step-by-step video to demonstrate in more detail.
It may be easier to achieve what you want than you realize.

At the moment I can tell for sure that I need a video on how do you create your initial structured part from scratch).

Then the geometry will be fully defined if we have both
image.png.9a6999c09bbe806dc6ca4ad48d5ee2d5.png

and the following angle between the faces (angle between base and any of the wall):

image.png.d65316476c9a8a5e911d11200714c1ca.png

• Umnik changed the title to Draw parametric pyramid

I'm still a bit lost as to the goal, but here's a video showing what I had in mind.

Note I'm using the TAB key during sketching to toggle onto the values for length/angle of the line, and the green snap points provide all the right locations once a couple of lines have been done.

I'm still thinking of it in Innovative Mode not Structured Mode though, so it may not be what you need.

The previous Structured Part provided will do what you want regarding controlling the height using the angle of the vertical faces. You simply right click on the Pyramid Intellishape and select "Edit Feature Options". This allows you to use the "Draft Angle" (located near the top) to control the vertical angle. Having done so you may need to drag the "H" Sizebox Handle, to ensure that it is above the top point. This is essentially the same as what Josh has suggested above with his Innovative Part. See attached video. The only reason I suggested using a "Structured Part" is that you specifically asked for parametric "3D Curves".

I have also attached a video showing how to create this Structured Part (and the 2D sketch). Hopefully this helps.

Note that there are other construction techniques that can be used, but this is probably the simplest.

Malcolm

For your interest attached are a couple of additional construction techniques for achieving parametric pyramids with 3D curves.

1. 2D Sketches + Surfaces + 3D Curves

2. 2D Sketches + 3D Curves

Surfaces (like solids) allow the extraction of additional information like surface area and perimeter length.

Depending on how you're hoping to use these models, you could use the "Structured Part Frame Tools" to add frame members inside the Structured Part along the 3D curves. Or you could use the Structured Part as a "Layout" for attaching Innovative parts.

Malcolm

3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid - Vertcal Angle 60.PNG

3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid - Vertcal Angle Positioning Sketch.PNG

3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid - Vertcal Angle Sketch.PNG

3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid with Surfaces.ics 3D Curves - Parametric Pyramid without Surfaces.ics

• Umnik changed the title to Draw parametric 3d sketch