Q Key TriBall

Josh

Hi all!

I've been using the 2021 beta which doesn't have keyboard shortcuts built-in yet and it has reminded me of just how much of a difference the Q key TriBall shortcut makes. It's a night and day difference in modelling speed for me.

By default in your IronCAD, Q key should already be set, but if it's not you can do so by going to MENU > TOOLS > CUSTOMISE > KEYBOARD > TOOLS > TRIBALL POSITIONING TOOL.

Before someone mentions using F10, I'm well aware of that. This is lightyears better, trust me.

It may take you a little getting use to, but once you become familiar with having your left finger on Q and your left thumb on the space bar (at the same time), it enables you to toggle between TriBall modes (blue/white//on/off) extremely quickly, all while using your right hand on the mouse to do positioning snaps. It makes TriBall work much more fluid, and when people have asked in the past "How did you do that so quickly?", this is probably the answer. A very small trick that can make a big difference to the speed of your IronCAD work.

Try it out for a few days and get use to it, and then I'll send you an invoice for all the time I saved you :)

Edited by Josh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hatch said:

Hi Josh,

I presume then you are right handed ? for us south paws, well me anyway, F10 is by far easier, right finger on F10, right thumb on the space bar  ;-)

Haha yes apologies this is only a tip for right handers!  If I imagine myself as left handed, F10 still keeps me a little far from the Shift and CTRL keys for my liking, so could go for something like the curly bracket "{" key or the "\" key depending on your key layout. 

Operating on a laptop I also regularly get problems with my function keys swapping between function and F10/F8 toggle etc. So in my shortcuts I moved everything useful onto the normal keypad easier to reach and away from the top row so it works nice when working on a laptop keyboard.

For the more advanced short cut key user - left (not sure whether are available for all models) or right handed - I've been recommended this kind of keyboard from some users! I've seen it used in action while working in the 3D scene and I never felt so slow... :D

https://gamepol.com/razer-tartarus-v2-vs-logitech-g13/

bild.png.3ffa952c05115ec8eda334dc34ab25c4.png

• Like 1