Sheet metal Through Holes

JBEANGE

Hi All,

Does anyone have any tricks for putting on hole trough two pieces of sheet metal?

I currently drag in a cut cylinder into the first material then have to drag another on into the second piece of material which is extremely time consuming...

TIA 

Right-click and drag-and-drop a hole on to one sheet metal. Select assembly Feature. Once created and positioned, right-click on the assembly feature and select create Part Feature. 

image.png

Other option is to drop a solid cylinder part into the scene and position it. Select on one sheet metal and the cylinder and select Cut Sheet Metal. Repeat on the other part. 

Thanks Malcolm.

After applying the assembly features and prior to 'Create Part', you can adjust the hole size and you can also adjust the position and both sheets will reflect that change.

If you complete an unfold on either sheet, that hole you created through both sheets, does not transfer onto the unfolded sheets.

After completing the 'Create part' however, both sheets will reflect the hole that was made on their respective unfolds, however there's now no chance to alter the hole size or have it follow any positional change.

Is there any way that after 'Create part' is made, that any size or positional change can be made that is reflective on both sheets?

Harley

Edited by HDEAR

Here's one way to do it.

You can create the bends, mitre bends, whatever on your first plate ( blue in the video )

Add  the holes on the flange that you want mirrored and followed. 

When you create the other plate onto which you wish to have your holes mirrored, you have to make sure that you have stock to mirror onto rather than bends. So on the orange sheet, you'll see I knocked the bend down to zero length, and added 'Add stock'

This then allows allows you to edit that 'Add stock' ( or any stock for that matter ) and use 'Project constraint'. Once done, any hole size changes and even positional changes on the master sheet will transfer transfer to the slave sheet.

A bit fiddly, but it is a method that works.

Sorry about the end of my video, I ma having trouble stopping Active Presenter with the CTRL-END function - it seems real finnicky!

Harley

Edited by HDEAR

Hi Harley,

While we are on the topic, here are a couple of options available for editing holes that have been created from "Assembly Features".

1. The size of the "Created Part Features" can't be changed (that I can see), but their position and number can be edited using the TriBall. Select at the intellishape level by holding down the "Alt" key when clicking. In the attached video I am holding down both the "Alt and "Shift" keys as I am selecting multiple intellishapes.

2. Delete the existing "Created Part Features", and recreate new ones using the original "Assembly Features". In the attached video I have left the original Assembly Features in place. When the "Create Part Feature" tool is used, the parts are removed from the "scope" of the "Assembly Features". In the attached video I select "Edit Assembly Feature Scope". With the dialog box open I select the parts in the scene (while holding down "Ctrl" + "Shift"). Once selected I can click on the "Add Parts" button. With the Assembly Feature now being applied to these parts again I can edit the size, number, and position of the feature. When done the "Create Part Feature" tool can then be used again to apply to the individual parts.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm.

I sometimes avoid Patterned features as these don't copy and paste unless put into an assembly ( as far as I can see ) but I agree, when you use them, they're much easier to modify.  

Good advice from you once again :)

Harley

Edited by HDEAR