Multiphysics consistently crashing

WPONG

I'm running 2019 (w/ the latest updates).  I've noticed that when I create a part and run modal analysis for the first time (I recall this occurring in other analyses as well -- don't have time @ the moment to experiment and recreate), IC crashes fairly consistently.  Workflow is something like this:

1. Create a part in IC
2.  Add FEA
3.  Add materials, add constraints
4.  Generate mesh
5.  Autosolve

Steps 1-5 seem to work fine.  Then the contour plot is displayed, screen freezes, and in a few seconds, I get a crash.  I'm then given the choice to either "close down IC," or "check for more info [or some similar phrase] and then close IC"

Is this a known problem?  Obviously frustrating.  I've done this with a few different parts now, and it seems frequent, if not strictly reproducible each time.  When preparing to run FEA, I've just gotten used to expecting IC to crash, then having to re-load IC, re-load my model, and re-run...

For what it's worth, here is a pic of the simple model.  Block on top is a chunk of aluminum for inertia, bracket material is PC/ABS.  Glue assumed between bodies.  Circular boss is fixed, and modal is run.

--Will

image.png.3da4a29c00acb54862adfb13a89dad77.png

Will,

This has been an ongoing problem for me for about 2 years now. I crash roughly about 66 percent of the time after the results are shown on screen or during meshing process (as do multiple other machines I have used with different hardware). I am yet to find a solution, but some days it works fine and others it seems to hate me lol. My crashes are usually a complete shutdown of IC with no warning or message. Sometimes it freezes for about 20 seconds then shuts down. Let me know ({PLEASE)) if you find something that works for you, Thanks. 

It is worth noting that during the last beta it did seem more stable for a little while.

- Spencer

Spencer, likewise, keep me posted if you find something.  This has been an ongoing issue for me as well, and *just* sporadic enough that I assumed it was because of some peculiarity of my setup.

Cary, Here's a zip of some of the files in that folder.  I had to remove some other files from this morning that were too large, so hopefully the useful info isn't in those instead.

ic logs.zip

We also get this crash on various hardware.  It seems rendering results with a high node count causes the crash.

There seems to be a limit to how much rendered results you can display before crashing.  A small model will work for a long time, but a big model may crash immediately upon displaying results.  If it doesn't crash immediately, then enough panning & zooming will cause it.

Fortunately, although MPIC thinks analysis results are dirty and want to re-solve - the results are usually fine and can be used without re-solving.  Although of course more panning and zooming those results will eventually cause another crash.

Quite frustrating.  For our part, the logs don't seem to hold any useful data.