A few beginner's questions

Guest Orlik

Hello. I am new in IronCAD and I have a few questions:

1. How to create linked mirrored parts?
2. Is there a faster way to copy linked parts than using triball?
3. After I position (a geometry/a part) with the triball to some edge or distance, I get frustrated when I move or change dimensions of other geometry/part, because IC dosen't update it to position i primarily refered that geometry/part to. How to use triball more efficiently in that mater?

1. Using the TriBall, right-click on the interior handles (orientation handles) and select Mirror then Move, Copy or Link. Basically position the TriBall where your mirror plane is and then use the right-click functions.

2. The TriBall is probably the fastest way to create copy/link parts/assemblies. You can also do a ctrl-c and ctrl-v to create and paste a part in the current location or use the catalogs for copy parts. But linked parts, the TriBall is the fastest.

3. IronCAD is geared to let you place objects quickly and then select object to move and update. You can always add dimension constraints or mate/align constraints if you want a particular object locked to a certain location. 

Best Regards,

Cary

Thank you for your replies!

1. I can't find "linked mirror" by clicking right-click on center of handle. Where is it?

I also tried "mirror features" like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75JIEw0BWk

But I can only mirror features not the whole part - I can't see "selected bodies" window like in this video. 

Don't want to click on all 20-40 features of parts to get that done. 

2. I was hopping to find a way to create linked parts in a "ctrl+c, ctrl+v" fashion but it seems it only can copy not-linked parts. Is there an option to change that behavior in options?

3a. 
I was hopping to find a way to fast constrain parts and geometries using triball. Are there possibilities to do that? I do get the idea that IronCAD allows flexibility during whole development of a project, but it is not the way i like to work. I prefer "automated order" rather than "manual flexible chaos".

3b. It seems that i can constrain parts in assemblies using "possitioning constraints" button in the top RibbonBar, but I can't find a way to constrain geometries inside of parts. How to do that?

Hi. Out of interest, what 3D modelling software are you used to working with? The reason I ask is that it might help identify a method that you are familiar with.

For example, I suspect that you are used to working in the equivalent of IRONCAD's "Structured" mode, as opposed to IRONCAD's "Innovative" mode. If you switch to "Structured" mode, then the various features maintain their relative associations without the need to add constraints or "Smart Dimensions". The video link that you posted also relates to a "Structured" part (note the icon of the part in the Scene Browser or History Tree).

Malcolm

Attached are some videos demonstrating the following:

1. Mirroring Parts - Innovative Using TriBall

2. Mirroring Features - Innovative Using TriBall

3. Mirroring Features - Innovative Using Mirror Feature

Regarding the TriBall, when you see it change colour to "White", I have pressed the "Space Bar" to enable me to position the TriBall where I want on the Part/Feature. Pressing the "Space Bar" again reattaches the TriBall to the Part/Feature, ready for moving, copying, mirroring, patterning, etc.

Malcolm

• Like 1

Thank you Malcolm!
This is very helpfull.

I have experience mostly in Solidworks and Inventor. I had some contact with AutoCAD and Catia too.

So i was right-clicking the wrong handle to get linked mirrored parts.

I think "Structured mode" is the thing I am looking for.
Too bad there is so little (or very hard to find) learning materials for functions I am looking for. This makes learning currve for this program to be very slow for me,  in comparsion to other CAD programs that I had to learn from zero.

I guess IronCAD will drive me mad for some time.

I would say the largest learning curve swaping to IronCAD is avoiding cross-sectional extrusions and using the intellishapes. Just a heads up to a new user, Thanks.

- Spencer

• Like 1

When I originally switched from SOLIDWORKS to IRONCAD I got very frustrated when I couldn't do things the way that I used to in SW. It took me a long time to realize that IC would never be as good as working like SW as SW is. So I needed to adapt and understand how IC worked. As I became familiar with IC I discovered that I could achieve almost everything that I could in SW, but it just went about it in a slightly different way.

If I was to go back to SW now I would be very frustrated that it wouldn't be able to do what IC can do.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

LOL!  This is a typical scenerio we hear from users switching from SWX or Inventor. The problem is to learn IronCAD you must ignore what you have been pre-programmed to do in SWX etc.. Unfortunately, IronCAD is the best and easiest way to design HOWEVER it's difficult for existing users, we have to detune often our customers of all the cumbersome and counter-productive approach that has been forced on you in other programs. But have faith becuase once the "lightbulb" goes on (like with many of my customers) they NEVER want to go back to the old way of doing things again .

Trust me, if you stick it out and persist, the world will be your oyster!

Tom

• Like 1

Well, you are right to some point. IronCAD and other CAD programs i know, have 2 different prefered "philosophies" of work.
I know that sooner or later I will get accustomed to IC and that maybe i will emotionally appreciate advantages of IC.

Unforently(at this point) it's hard to find tutorials that helps to transfer from one way of thinking to another. I would prefer to be able to use IC in "traditional" way at first, and then smoothly transfer to the "inovative" way.  I suspect this is the reason why many new users in IC (like me) get painfully frustrated at first.

Yes, I meet a lot of new IRONCAD users that has been working more or less with an "only parametric" system and it takes some time and some frustration to oversee the differences.

A comment that I recently heard was that "I was first very frustrated and went home (after the first day at work with IRONCAD) very depressed and angry. But, as when I was in my bed that evening, I came to think about the other guys here at work. They have designed and manufactured very advanced and complex machines and I understood that it can't be the system, it must be me! So, the next day I just decided to let go of all the previous knowledge (trust me, it wasn't easy!) and accept that it is different. After a few days (and some training videos) I was up and running and now a few months later I think I'm really getting the hang of it!".

What is really interesting with IC as that you can choose for yourself wether you want or relly need constraints (usually you don't!), not because the system demands it to actually work - but because you see the need yourself. When you've learned the basic tools in IC and see the benefits, you will only use parameters and constraints for certain kind of models. But the first period of time can be tough and I hope that you can see that you will become productive quite soon.

7 hours ago, Guest Orlik said:

Unforently(at this point) it's hard to find tutorials that helps to transfer from one way of thinking to another. I would prefer to be able to use IC in "traditional" way at first, and then smoothly transfer to the "inovative" way.  I suspect this is the reason why many new users in IC (like me) get painfully frustrated at first.

Yes there are limited videos on our structured part process as it is fairly similar to the other systems and we provide that for certain use cases. Mainly we focus on the Innovative design approach. Most of the videos located on https://www.ironcad.com/learning-center/ focus on this process. We are working on other videos to help this transition as well. 

Cary