Extra Lines in Exported Images

Malcolm Crowe

Attached is an exported PNG image from IC2014 SP1 using "Screen Display Quality".

When exporting images using "Screen Display Quality" I am unable to prevent extra lines from hidden parts from appearing. If I use "Advanced Realistic Quality" then this isn't a problem. However, I then loose the ability to have visible part edges, which is what I want in this instance.

Is there a trick to exporting images, or is this a known problem / limitation?

Extra_Lines_in_Exported_Images.png

Hi Malcolm,

This is a z-buffering issue with line edges that occurs on thin parts (common issue in 3D). We see this happen in the drawing views as well as added a setting to adjust the Face Z-Buffering. I will ask if this is available in the 3D to adjust as well.

Cary

Thanks Cary and Joseph for the replies. "Perspective" was off in the view, but the same affect is seen with "Perspective" switch on. The lines just move (some disappear and others appear). Joseph, I also tried your suggestion of lowering the exported resolution but this made no difference to the lines also.

The best that I have been able to do to improve the image is to switch to "OpenGL" in the scene Rendering settings and to set the "Manual Line Offset" to the maximum (200). Most of the lines disappear (see attached), but some still remain, so would appreciate a better solution if available.

Extra_Lines_in_Exported_Images___OpenGL_Manual_Line_Offset_200.png

We've had the same issue for years. There are some old posts about this that I can't find right now with other work arounds but no solution. Seems best to just suppress the internal parts altogether for the screenshot, if you can.

In the image below, the left side has the internal hardware suppressed, right side is how it always shows. These are solid, non-interfering parts.

lines.jpg

This may be related to problems that I had but on a different output intent:

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/i...?showtopic=9486

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/i...?showtopic=9514

This drove me to this thread. Switching to renderer to OpenGL, OpenGL2, Direct X and display list produce different results with export image. As I was to figure out what I did, I first did a screen capture via printscreen sys and paste at paint and save as png and compared it with the export image from IC. Sometimes the rendering features on the performance options has to be set to get the right combination. I think what the gpu throws on your screen and what the software export does produces detail lags in between. Noteworthy features: use cached graphical display data, use visual load when opening files, hide small parts when fps is low, hide edge during rotation when fps is low and use low quality transparency effects when fps is low - a combination on this settings makes a differences on how large is the details you want to be seen as hidden and edge lines. The program on this is not my turf, but a slight rotation sometimes show what it did not display previously.

While we are on this, nvidia display hidden and edges differently from amd/ati radeon too fine hidden and edge lines. Unfortunately tseng labs was gobbled up by ati, 3dlabs premedia lost its way with creative labs. This was with desktop graphics products not workstation class models. This makes me feel older blink.gifninja.gif

Edited by jolizon590016

Hi Cary. Yes I only get the lines when using WYSIWYG image export. There are no extra lines in the working scene, and no extra lines when using advanced rendering.

The screen capture is using the default rendering settings using OpenGL 2. The hardware that I am using is a DELL PRECISION M6700 which uses a NVIDIA QUADRO K3000M.