Benchmark Scene

Following rendering/animation issues in latest topic by Tom I try to render something larger in IC.

I failed sad.gif

Since I`m using different software to render my images (exporting everything via dxf/3ds/obj...), I did not pay much attention to IC rendering engine.

As I can see there is a lot of issues......

I was not able to do complete scene render. I got random crashes, missing objects, etc.

Here is ICS of my latest 'Project' if anybody have time to test.

note: IC2012

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h54gsk

It should look like this:

img001.gif

img008.gif

img002.gif

img011.gif

img015.gif

Edited by dprodanic

Hi Dragan,

Cary found what we think is the problem rendering this Scene, the "rasveta stub" parts have a SmartPaint Emission set, the Emission setting causes extremely poor performance in the new Advanced Rendering Engine (the old Legacy Engine was fine with it and it was really designed for the old engine). So turn all the Emissions settings back to zero for those and any other parts and you should get better results.

Also, setting the lights advanced settings to Ray-traced shadows should speed up the rendering performance.

The large amount of cylinders and details in the Scene will still take quite some time to render but with the above changes it shouldn't crash. We had it rendering for quite some time but had to stop it to free up the machine for other work, apparently we could improve performance for large Scene rendering.

tnx.

To be honest I have not done any particular setup for this Scene. I also found that the problem is in the "rasveta stub" and the "rampe" that contains "Bolt : Hex-Struct - 0.5 x 4.0" parts witch are taken from the "rasveta stub" assembley.

The "rasveta stub" and "kante" are assemblies from IC v2009 and I just copy/paste them into this Scene.

Other tricks with polygon count of cylinder/blended surface and Ray-traced shadows are well know from other rendering engines. Those are common issues.

I just did not have time to play with the scene due my new WIP Projects.

I`m sorry if I troubled you guys. But I really want to spend more time on Rendering due potential clients.

I have put those images, witch are rendered on Rendering Engines intended to do just this (rendering) fast and easy to compare possible final result.

For now, as I can see, IC rendering engine is not bad. It has all major features: GI, HDRI, Irradiance Cashe, Radiosity....

Thank you for your time finding all the problems.

Edited by dprodanic

For the rendering engines you used for this file, what was the time for the rendering and what type of machine was used? It would be good to get an estimate of the time differences.

Thanks

Cary

32842[/snapback]

I`m using 3dsmax+Rendering Engines plugins: Vray or Finalrender (depending of client request) but only for Rendering. All modeling I`m doing in IC except the vehicles and foliage.

Well, you can`t compare those with IC Rendering engine since those are designed for the Render process only. It would be unfair.

Depending on various settings (speed/quality compromise), resolution etc. render times could vary. For this file I could get times about 4 min (720p) for quick animation and about 15-20 min for Still Images (1600*1200) that I put as example.

Those type of Rendering Engines are using similar light/irradiance cache to speed up process and many other tricks as proxies, displacement, reusing light/irradiance cache etc.

I`m using I7 920 oc 4 GHz, 12GB RAM

EDIT:

P.S. IMHO IC can easily produce very good render quality. Everything is in 'artist/designer' approach. The render for this file is below average but this is exactly what client expected. Some times it is not about photo-realistic.

Treas and similar can be achieved with good BMPs and oppacity maps. HDRI background is present.... So with nice setup everything is possible.

Edited by dprodanic

Hi

Kevin:

Just a very little answer to the emission question.

I found that white color becomes white when you drive up the emission.

Otherways it stays as grey.

So emission became important to me. (especially at drawing)

Carlo

PS damned good renderings!

Edited by cborer

So that means:

if I want a real white I have a lot of work! sad.gif

Maybe we should have a button to select "turn lights on white" dry.gif

Or a color called True white?

or better a rendering Tab called True Collors?

Just some thoughts abot it...

Edited by cborer

Guest EricFoy

I've set up my favorite template with four lights, each having a little tint in the subtractive primaries, eg:

light 1 : cyan

light 2 : magenta

light 3 : yellow

light 4 : red, green, or [usually]blue (the exception)

this gives better depth perception, and a nicer overall feel during general modelling. It's a trick I learned doing theatre lighting when I was young. You want varying shades of light to attack the subject from different angles, giving greater depth to the perceived image. It actually simulates real global illumination in a way.

For rendering I almost never use lights, so changing one when I need one is no biggie.

Edited by EricFoy