Assembly anchor changing to global

snelson

I have a part that has it's anchor point set in line with the part yet any time I assemble it with something, or even just itself for testing purposes, the triball orientation changes to match the global UCS.

What would cause this? Or is it a bug?

Let me know if you need any more details.

Steve

triball_global.jpg

Are you sure you are not seeing the "Assembly" anchor, instead of the "Part" anchor?

If you have the anchor on the part oriented right, and then pick that part first when you make it into an assembly, maybe it grabs the "Part" position of the anchor, but orientated to "Global" instead of the local of the part.

I have all kinds of issues when I have parts that I take out of assemblies, and then insert them into another model, and it seems to have the coordinate system all goofed up. Haven't really tracked it, but it has been an issue always.

Just guessing.

Mike

It's in all scenes. All anchor points having to do with the part/intellishapes are in-line with the the edges of the part yet when it's assembled as the 1st item in any assembly, in any orientation, it changes to match global.

The assembly anchor is what changes, it wasn't pulled out of an assembly though before this.

I'll have it put on your FTP today Cary, thanks.

Steve

I don't see this issue or I'm doing something wrong. I open TBase. I turn on the TriBall and it is on the Part Edge above the Anchor (which is at the corner and is currently at 0,0,0). Then I assemble the Part. At the Assembly level, the TriBall of Course will turn on at the Anchor location of the Assembly since nothing is remembered yet about any new location. If I click to the part level and turn on the TriBall, the it is at the location it was initially. What am I missing?

64-bit 2011 PU1 HF1

Cary

Hold on...Are you asking why the Anchor of the Assembly changes? If so: When you create an assembly, a new anchor is created based on the Global orientation. It does not use the part or part(s). For example: If you had 50 parts selected and select assemble, which anchor should it use (This is especially true if the part is mirrored). So the default has always been to use the Global orientation for the new anchor created. However, the part anchors below the created assembly should never change due to the assemble command. Is this what you are asking. If so, the behavior is by design.

Cary

Then the better question is why do all of our other parts NOT act this way???

If i use other parts to do this, it creates an assembly anchor point where the 1st part's anchor is, where it is aiming.

So if what you're saying is correct, then the picture below is the wrong behavior. The anchor point would be in line with that grid if it created one aligned to the UCS every time.

Steve

pic_2.jpg

Edited by snelson

What Cary said, was what I was trying to explain in my response above.

What I find odd, is that I always just take the default orientation when inserting a part into a scene, so how can any coordinate system be different? Does the local coordinate not default to the Global system?

I have noticed that when taking a part out of an assembly, and then parking it in a catalog, when I grab it and insert it into another scene, it will once in awhile come into the scene cocked off at about a 45 Deg angle, although I never have measured it.

I will have to try and do this in a controlled way, but for now this is all I have.

Mike

We do it a bit different. We pull parts out of a catalog to make assemblies instead of the other way around. So all parts are pre-defined with an anchor point and then the triball sometimes on the anchor point, and sometimes moved for easier positioning after bringing it in to the scene.

If this part is left separate, there are no problems.

A few weeks ago was the first time I'd ever seen the assembly orientation different then the first part in the assembly, and it had to do with this part.

I was incorrect in my initial reply. It should create the assembly anchor based on the first selected part.

The issue for this particular file is the Mirror transformation. The part is mirrorred and when it creates the assembly, we do not use that mirroring on the assembly (I think it could mess up other parts in the assembly if we did). I can reproduce this case on a simple block that I rotate and mirror move.

I'll double check with R&D, but I'm not sure since the tranformation is mirrored.

Cary

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing this in many places now in my newer files. I wouldn't doubt if mirroring is involved in the rest of em but I'd like to see this fixed before it gets in all of our files. Granted I try not to mirror if I don't have to, a lot of our parts are simple enough shapes for it to not matter until something like this comes up.

Steve

Well it can't be easily fixed for Mirrored parts. The corrdinate system is not the same. It has a reverse axis (mirror). If we used the same coordinate as the mirrored part for the assembly, all the parts in the assembly will become mirrored, which is not good. I don't think this is a new issue (I can see it happen in V10 as well). So the issue is that it can't match exactly due to the mirror coordinate. If the mirror is in multiple directions, it is even more of an issue to try to solve.

Cary

I guess this just doesn't make sense to me then. To me, all it needs to do is make an assembly anchor point the exact same as the first item you pick. I don't see where it needs to think about anything or even care about mirrioring. Just match the same anchor point orientation.

Steve

There is an XYand Z. Mirrored parts have a Negative Axis (for example: XY, and -Z). So it can't match unless the assembly has the same mirror transformation. If that is mirrored, all the parts inside would be mirrored (other than the one that is already mirrored).

Cary