Web based and/or portable hard drive based IronCAD

mgajewski

Hi Guys,

I travel a lot between US and Europe and lug all kinds of laptops, hard drives etc. which is not only inconvenient but with ever increasing luggage weight restrictioins, is becoming expensive.

Is there a way (or will there soon be a way) to run IronCAD from a portable hard drive? That would allow users to use any Windows desktop or laptop...

Ultimately, it would be great if IronCAD were web based - is that being considered?

I realize certain features are not frequently asked for by IC users. Perhaps this issue could be a case of "build it and they will come", and yet another competition leapfrogging move by IronCAD.

Mark

We'll have to check on the portable hard drive question (I'm not sure). You could use a service like GotoMyPC and access you machine from the internet. It depends on your internet speed and there is one know issue with the TriBall (it move very fast in this mode).

Web based is still something we are reviewing and seeing how the market place will take hold of it.

Cary

It would be cool to have it as a "portable app": http://portableapps.com/

I use this on a tiny 8GB USB-stick on my key ring, so I have all my cool sometimes-good-to-have apps with me all the time... only problem is that some USB-sticks has been demagnetized, or what it's called, and I have to get a new one...

We'll have to check on the portable hard drive question (I'm not sure). You could use a service like GotoMyPC and access you machine from the internet. It depends on your internet speed and there is one know issue with the TriBall (it move very fast in this mode).

Web based is still something we are reviewing and seeing how the market place will take hold of it.

Cary

30586[/snapback]

Hi Cary,

I think the marketplace (including me) is already taking quite a strong hold of, for instance, Google Docs. It seems to me that web based software etc. is a very powerful concept and it works really well when well executed.

Mark

As long as there is an option to keep it as it is. I do quite a bit of work away from the web. It would be an absolute stopper if I could not do this. I don't even like working from a network drive. I want to be able to keep working no matter what! Too many bad experiences. I'm for staying as close to my license as I can.

On the other hand, I have worked with shared licenses, with software that shall not be named, and it can work if set up well, and if there is a fallback if something goes haywire with the license server. My .02 worth.

Mike