importing scanned 3D surfaces

Guest agentile

Guest agentile

Has anyone out there had any success with importing a reverse engineered 3D laser scanned surface (stl file) and converting it into a solid (IC convert to solid function)?

The last surface model sent to me had minute imperfections or tears in the surface that would classify it as an 'open surface'. In an attempt to 'convert' IC locked up after a 94% completion.

Is there a fault in the scanning process itself, resolution, speed? I need to find out soon if IC is compatible with this process. The customers scanner is a $100K infrared non contact unit, most recent technology.

Thanks for all your help in advance. sad.gif

post-1128-1270729695_thumb.jpg

Guest agentile
The file I saw had large openings on the surface model, I think the scanner could get better results.  Otherwise you will have to "overdraw" on the top of the scanner results, that is what I have seen some people do.

28315[/snapback]

Yes Kevin, I asked him to remove the incomplete holes. It's the same model without the holes. The picture in a close up view of other smaller surface openings. Can 'overdrawing' be accomplished within IC?

You could draw 3D Curves on this imported STL mesh and then start creating surfaces to redraw the model.

There are also programs designed especially to take scanned data and convert it into CAD data. Raindrop Geomagic is one I have used and it helped but there still was manual rework involved. That was 5 years ago and I'm sure the technology has improved and there are probably many other players in thte market.

I am using a much lower end scanner, the NextEngine HD, but my workflow for freeform surfaces has come down to this:

1. Scan the object in NextEngine ScanStudio

2. open scan file in RapidWorks(RapidForm bought through Nextengine) and extract surfaces and edge curves

3. Import surfaces and curves into Rhino and recreate model including desired freeform changes

4. Export to IronCAD to do solid modeling operations.

You can make a solid in RapidForm and supposedly do everything else with it, but I have found it to be frustrating so I just use it for what it does best, extracting features and surfaces. If you buy RapidForm outright it is something like $20K, but they have deals with some of the scanner manufacturers where you purchase it through them (if you own their scanner) and it only works with their native files and costs around $2500. Still full functional and can export normal file types.

For more prismatic mechanical parts RapidForm does a great job of extracting the features to create a solid model, but in many cases I can just use an OBJ mesh of the scan and create the solid in IronCAD by matching the parts up the the mesh just as easy. In part because IC is just so dang good for that kind of modeling, and also because I know it so well compared to RW.

Also, just bringing an STL or OBJ into Rhino and running section lines through it is often all you need to get the data to recreate the part in IC. If IC could create sections from and OBJ or STL mesh we could often eliminate the extra steps with other programs.

It's been a long learning curve so I thought I would share in case it helps anyone else, or you have better suggestions.

Scott