Using Helix to remove material

Corey Cooper

Ok, I know someone here can help me, I'm trying to use the helix tool to remove material from a cylinder, and I cant get it to work, I can get the helix to remove the material, but I cant seem to get it to do it the way I need. see attached as an example of how I need to show it on the drawing. BTW, this is a customer drawing, no one that I did. I dont know what I need to input in the boxes to give me a 30 degree LHH or RHH for that matter. There was someone here that knew how to do it, but unfortunately they're no longer around, and I didnt pick their brain before they left. I'm stuck. I know there is probably other ways to do it, besides the helix tool, but I'm not that fimiliar with the sweep or loft tools (don't really have a need for them in my line of work, and havn't really played with them).

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=703

post-678-336-2357.jpg_thumb

To get the helix shape using the Sweep and loft tools, I simply use the helix tool to get the shape I need(typically with a square profile), then select the edge and convert to a 3d curve,... then simply sweep along the 3d curve and subtract the solid..

There is a box you can check to make the helix able to subtract from other solids. I used it some time ago, but not lately...

I wonder if you could use the helix tool... then use the "combine shapes" option to reduce it down to a face model... then change its boolean properties to "remove material"... then boolean it to your other solid.

Well... I hope this helps..

Dig through this older thread... it may bring some light...

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/index.php?showtopic=827

I think you can do it with the helix tools directly. The attached part should show you how it's done, assuming you know your geometry (i.e. how to calculate the pitch from the diameter and the angle and projected crossection of the helix).

Cheers,

Beat

Helix.ics

I will try to find something also..

I just thought of something....You have the height of the cylinder portion with the helical cuts 3.590-2.028... And you have the note that says it is a 30 deg helix..

I would think that you could use a sweep ( or is it a loft?) with 2 sections... the first section will simply be the profile.. then the second section will be the same profile rotated 30 degs all at the necessary extruded distance... guide curve length...

I believe that will get you there... I will be sure to try it today.

(uuuhhh the terminology or buttons are slipping on me here.. I am not on my IC system today,, maybe a loft with 2 sections?... well the one that will allow multiple sections)...

Hope this helps.

Corey-

pitch = diameter * pi / sin(angle)

The vertical helix crossection width w is much more difficult. I can't figure it out just like that. But a little trial and error will get you there. Actually the value that I've used w = width / sin(angle) = 0.5 is inaccurate. The value should be around 0.568.

mmccall (whatever your real name is) -

Yes, it's a loft you have in mind and most likely it won't work (accurately) in this case, or at least it will be very difficult to adjust the tangecy. But I think a 2-guided sweep might work. A solid sweep would be best.

Cheers,

Beat