stability

kbushnell

okay...i am pissed so i will keep this short, i am looking for anyone out there that can say they are running just fine and maybe share their setup. i am about to go back to v8 as i am not receiving any benefits from this new version and have spent over a thousand bucks to hide the problem with hardware. what seems really strange is how some days are okay and others are quit impossible driving our IT person nuts and myself quite frustrated with the amount of time and money spent ......okay I will stop now. blush.gif

Karl,

Can you post a Windows System Information file so we can get a better idea of your PC setup. (Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information and just save the .nfo file).

24136[/snapback]

excl.gif Okay Kevin, I have attached the .nfo file. I am going to get this machine ready today for a complete re-format..... mad.gif YUK! dry.gif but I think it would be good to start fresh. what is ironic is everything works fine unless ironcad is running too, then all kinds of wierd random intermitent stuff happens from graphics to file reads or saves in or out of ironcad,,,again while it is running. let me know if you need anything else! I really want to get this going and when it does run right it is well cant say that here! cool.gif

mysysinfo.nfo

• 2 months later...

tongue.gif

OKAY HERE IS WHAT WE HAVE DONE SO FAR THAT SEEMS TO BE WORKING GOOD SO FAR,

1) UPDATED AGAIN TO THE MOST RECENT VIDEO DRIVERS

2) TOOK AWAY SECOND MONITOR

3) REFORMATTED AND RE-INSTALLED X64 XP

4) STAND ALONE INSTALLATION, MACHINE SOLEY USED FOR IRONCAD AND IE8

5) DOWNLOADED MOST RECENT HOT FIXES FROM IRONCAD

SOMETIME DOWN THE ROAD WE WILL TRY PUTTING THE SECOND MONITOR BACK AFTER WE HAVE HAD SOME TIME WITHOUT ISSUES. I WILL LET YOU KNOW THE OUTCOME OF THAT WHEN WE DO THIS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! ninja.gif

Edited by kbushnell

Guest EricFoy

Karl:

I'm running v11 x64 on Vista 64 Ultimate. I'm having my share of frustrations with IC, but it seems now to be reasonably stable, and I am beginning to reap some benefits. Some observations:

At first attempts to run Advanced/DirectX, I had problems like immediate graphics system lockup, etc. However, This is the config I am now running, and it works quite well. I have tweaked the settings a bit in the nVidia control panel, which seems to have been beneficial, though I can't really tell you what-all I've changed in there. You might try playing with that.

After installing the 2D editing regression dll, the 2D editing appears to be more stable in general, though I still run into problems with over-constrained geometry. 2D editing is definitely IC's achilles heel (for me, anyway). Make sure you right click in the 2D environment and turn off all constraint-related stuff. You'll be happier.

I think IE8 is just a giant red herring. I would avoid it like the plague (or swine flu) at least for a couple version releases. On systems upon which I've installed it, I've experienced various spurious problems. Firefox works, and it ain't broke, so why fix it?

When bringing in a v10 file for editing, I have developed the habit of saving immediately, then reopening the file to do further work -especially where linked files are involved. I'm not sure about this, but it at least eliminates the unknown element of working on older version files.

Vista specific: For all programs that write to more than one file, Just run it "as administrator" (at least once, and maybe forever). Just do it.

maybe this will help.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the info Eric,

I have stripped the machined of all other programs / reformatted / re-installed XP-X64 with all the updates then Ironcad 11 with all the PU's and most recent video drivers from Nvidia.

I have seen a reasonable improvement over the previous install. Still struggling with control issues so random and spread out the list would be long but most anoying is random sliding menu and properties thereof and selection or picking with erratic results...or just crashing. At least I can do most of the work I need to with some fair results.....and yes everything especially TOOLS and RENDERING are still sloooow.

So a stripped down unit seems to help a little but it definately points back to the ICUI. I HOPE - HOPE - HOPE V12 addresses these issues and we can all get back on track as we were before all this. BTW I think you might of misdirected you I ment ver 8.0 of Ironcad not IE8?....ICV8 was and still is my favorite version. I will go back to that if vers 12 does not resolve the multitude of issues brought about after ver8 to current. V8 worked and worked hard and fast I was so excited and looked forward to further improvements. It all reminds me so much of the ride we all have taken with MICROSOFT! NO/YES please excuse if this seems to rant! again thanks for the info as you know it really helps to hear what others are doing! biggrin.gif

SOMETIME DOWN THE ROAD WE WILL TRY PUTTING THE SECOND MONITOR BACK AFTER WE HAVE HAD SOME TIME WITHOUT ISSUES. I WILL LET YOU KNOW THE OUTCOME OF THAT WHEN WE DO THIS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! ninja.gif

24916[/snapback]

Quck note: I too run dual monitors and found that splitting toolbars to second monitor makes Ic crash more. When I move all toolbrs back to main screen the crashing is reduced

We installed IronCAD 11 with Vista Business 64-bit & it has been very stable. I had to "run as administrator" for a couple weeks before I was certain that everything was working correctly - now I just run it normally.

We tried Advanced/DirectX rendering, but quickly switched back to Advanced/OpenGL. We use a lot of surfaces & they tended to disappear with DirectX (even with "render both sides" turned on) - we were using Recreate Display every couple commands. With Advanced/OpenGL, we have relatively few display issues (far fewer than in IC 10.)

With IronCAD 11 Vista 64, we have had none of the low memory issues that we had with IronCAD 10. We've had a few reported crashes, but orders of magnitude fewer than IC 10.

The biggest issue we had with IC 11, was the 2D edit cross-section - but that was largely fixed with a hotfix (the new interface still took some getting-used-to.)

Overall, I'd have to say that IronCAD 11 Vista 64 (PU1, with all the hotfixes) is stable & let's me work productively.

I'm fed up with display issues on Advanced/Open GL and things not working the way they should. (target camera) You should not have to hit Recreate Display every time you open a file to get rid of attachment points showing up. I still have to do this every few commands with the same set up as Mike so I don't know whats goin on there.

I crash often and could echo a lot of everyone elses concerns and general instability issues. I agree with Eric's bug report post about the UI issues.

I can crash on the most basic operations with no way to repeat things and it's therefore worthless to post about until a topic like this comes up. My quantity of Exception logs for V11 is only 10 less then V10 in exactly half as many months of use which is ridiculous.

Gotta agree with the Ver8 comments too. I have only 1 Exception log from that version which was great.

If the exception logs are not empty, please send them to support. We may be able to debug them. It may be worth the effort to work with support and put on the Microsoft debugging tools so that we can investigate your machine for these issue. It will give more information that can be debugged so that we can correct the issue or at least find out the cause.

Please let me know if that is possible.

Thanks

Cary