Modify Affected Bends

schizek

I am trying to create a custom profile that wraps around a sheet metal bend. My problem is, the custom profile is more of a pattern, and has several separate notches that consist of one custom profile. When I try to modify the affected bend for it to wrap, it disappears. Is this the intended functionality?

• 2 weeks later...

Scott instead of using the custom profile; use the "Cut Sheetmetal" command in the tools menu to do this. A custom profile has a very hard time stretching around bends whereas the cut sheetmetal was intended to cut through any sheetmetal regardless of how curvy it is.

How to use cut sheetmetal:

1) Create your stock/sheetmal

2) Create a solid part (not a shape, but a part) that represents the hole that you want to cut out of the sheetmetal. This will be your cutting tool.

3) Position the tool so that it "cuts" through your part

4) Select the sheetmetal at the part level (blue) then shift+select the tool, then run the "Cut Sheetmetal Part" command from the Tools MENU (not catalog).

The cut sheet metal tool doesnt always work to give you the correct information. It is basically cutting the sheet metal AFTER form, when in reality the sheet metal is cut BEFORE form. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is a big deal when you are trying to get correct blanks.

The idea with cutting sheetmetal after form is that when you unfold it; our sheetmetal performs calculations to rebuild the cut-shape so that in the unfolded state the cut appears as you would need it to be cut so that it would fold correctly.

We don't merely unfold the sheetmetal; we completely rebuild it and all of the shapes within it, taking into consideration k-factor, stock, and the other properties; so that you are given the correct unfolded shape that is required for it to fold properly.

If you use cut sheet metal in certain bend areas, the unfolded sheet metal thickness is cut at an angle, which is not correct. The idea of getting it to fold properly is important, but just as important, if not more important, is being able to create the proper unfolded sheetmetal.