Which Kernel to use?

cborer

I have never done much Kernel Switching over the years. I at one point determined that Parasolid files (at that time) were smaller flies and I had no problem with the output I was getting.

I have just selected it as my default whenever I install new version of IC.

I export all my parts as a parasolid file when I am done designing and go to CAM program to program parts for CNC mills. I use the tri-ball to rotate and position the part to the correct X0,Y0, Z0 orientation for CAM program and then export. That way when I open the part in CAM program it is ready to machine.

My parts are not as curvy as yours so I can see why surface quality is important.

Dallas

Carlo

I have been over the years checking your website and have shared it with others, very nice work.

How much of it do you actually design in IronCad?

Have you Werk in Stuttgart Germany? When I was over there I saw a couple pieces that looked like they might be you handy Werk.

Dallas

As I had some experience with the Kernel switch, but after some time forgot, so I started to make a list.

Here it is.

Please use it and fill it up with your own list (if it exists)

May help us all.

Best

Carlo

23381[/snapback]

Carlo I have updated your document.

Thanks

tom

Hi Dallas

Thank You!

1. I do as much as possible in IC, cause of the intuitive, easy way and the shape based history as well as the good looking surface. The rest I do in Rhino like unfold, Layer based dxf, advanced surface and 3d curve. At the moment unfortunately I have big problems with the rigid limitations of IC and the bugs; ...and the fact that there is very little development in construction tools (just comfort), then no development in the direction of surface quality. So at the moment I am thinking about other CAD! (after 10 years!) In fact I lost the full last 3 weeks with bugs and missing tools. sad.gifblink.gifninja.gif

2. No! the guy in Stuttgart I do not know! Did you make pictures? Name? I will have to send one of my friends from the Mafia! smile.gif

There is an old swiss artist called Josef Staub who died last year, his work is looking a bit like mine, in fact its very different , also he didn't use CAD.

Tom

Perfect work! ....as I am used to get from you, Mr. Iron Beer! Thank you!

Best to all Carlo

Edited by cborer

Kernel Toggling:

Start: Parasolid, create a ellipsoid Loft shape, then offset start surface.

Parasolid creates an additional surface (on the side), which we cannot delete.

Switch to Acis (acis shows an additional edge along side) delete additional surface.

Switch back to Parasolid and it looks perfect.

Funny but it works!

Best

Carlo

Edited by cborer