Fasteners

schizek

Guest mwalls

I guess I would say that any screw is going to have some type of drive hole such as a slot or philips, so I see no point in having a screw without a way to put it in. You could make a regular screw, and then remove the slot. You then can drag a copy of it into your own catalog to be able to drop in the fastener any other place you would want. Am I missing something? I just don't see the need to have it as an option when all screws and bolts have some sort of drive mechanism which is covered in the features when building a fastener.

Mike

Yeah... the only thing close is to select the option "none" for head types.

Selecting "none" would make it like a set screw... then I suppose you could delete the recess feature...

Like mwalls said, you could then make it your own catalog item.

Hope this helps.

quote:Originally posted by mwalls:

I guess I would say that any screw is going to have some type of drive hole such as a slot or philips, so I see no point in having a screw without a way to put it in. You could make a regular screw, and then remove the slot. You then can drag a copy of it into your own catalog to be able to drop in the fastener any other place you would want. Am I missing something? I just don't see the need to have it as an option when all screws and bolts have some sort of drive mechanism which is covered in the features when building a fastener.

Mike

id=quote>
id=quote>

Yes, fasteners require a drive mechanism, but threaded rod does not. I've also used screw threads to make hand knobs and other custom hardware, where a drive mechanism in the end of the threaded rod is not necessary.

A screw does NOT have to have a cross recess to put it in, the hex head gives it that capability. I understand that I can put a slot in the screw and then delete that recess (as well as create my own fastener catalog when complete), so I do have a work around.

This should probably go to an enhancement request now. There are Hex head screws WITHOUT a cross recess, a simple box for NONE in the cross recess type could accommodate this, without having to modify existing screws or create a separate catalog.