Rendering Performance Tips

Here’s a rundown of all the major items that impact rendering performance, very often you can scale back some of these items and gain rendering performance (finish rendering faster!) without sacrificing much quality.

Image size- will increase time for the obvious reason that there are more pixels- remember that the number of pixels goes up by Width*Height- so it can go up very quickly

Antialiasing (Super Sampling)- this can slow things down because it is rendering the same pixel multiple times with slight changes in the ray used- this is much like rendering a larger image, then shrinking it down to the desired size

Ray depth & Caustic Depth- this makes rays bounce around more, increasing render times- but only if the scene conditions are right

Global Illumination- this is a generally more expensive way to calculate lighting than traditional direct lighting- but if you do want to include GI, keep quality as low as possible, always use the irradiance cache, and keep the cache precision as high as possible (more pixels per sample). Avoid Full-GI unless radiosity and caustics are desired.

Shaders are slower than simple colors and values. The noise shaders are generally the slowest. Image shaders can also be slow.

Reflection and refraction make the scene much more expensive to render.

Reflection blur requires multiple reflection rays to be fired-- further slowing down reflection calculations.

Emission is similar to placing small area lights across the materials surface. The number of samples determines how many of these lights are used. This complicated lighting will slow things down greatly based on the number of samples. Zero samples will just change the material appearance and not create any area lights.

Area lights require multiple samples per light-- much like adding multiple lights distributed across the rectangle. The degree of slowdown is related to the sample count.

Soft ray traced shadow require multiple samples per light slowing down rendering much like adding multiple lights slightly perturbed. The degree of slowdown is related to the sample count.

Spotlight volume lighting is expensive and can be slow with a high resolution

(Thanks Bryan)

• 10 years later...
Here?s a rundown of all the major items that impact rendering performance, very often you can scale back some of these items and gain rendering performance (finish rendering faster!) without sacrificing much quality.

Image size- will increase time for the obvious reason that there are more pixels- remember that the number of pixels goes up by Width*Height- so it can go up very quickly

Antialiasing (Super Sampling)- this can slow things down because it is rendering the same pixel multiple times with slight changes in the ray used- this is much like rendering a larger image, then shrinking it down to the desired size

Ray depth & Caustic Depth- this makes rays bounce around more, increasing render times- but only if the scene conditions are right

Global Illumination- this is a generally more expensive way to calculate lighting than traditional direct lighting- but if you do want to include GI, keep quality as low as possible, always use the irradiance cache, and keep the cache precision as high as possible (more pixels per sample).  Avoid Full-GI unless radiosity and caustics are desired.

Shaders are slower than simple colors and values.  The noise shaders are generally the slowest.  Image shaders can also be slow.

Reflection and refraction make the scene much more expensive to render.

Reflection blur requires multiple reflection rays to be fired-- further slowing down reflection calculations.

Emission is similar to placing small area lights across the materials surface.  The number of samples determines how many of these lights are used.  This complicated lighting will slow things down greatly based on the number of samples.  Zero samples will just change the material appearance and not create any area lights.

Area lights require multiple samples per light-- much like adding multiple lights distributed across the rectangle.  The degree of slowdown is related to the sample count.

Soft ray traced shadow require multiple samples per light slowing down rendering much like adding multiple lights slightly perturbed.  The degree of slowdown is related to the sample count.

Spotlight volume lighting is expensive and can be slow with a high resolution

(Thanks Bryan)

22228[/snapback]

Is there a way to increase the render quality of 2D sketch (reference) geometry within an IC scene? I have attached a snip of what i am referring to, Thanks.

2D_sketch_rendering.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, this is the correct scene. The color is just a user preference where i edited the color of 2D sketches to be more to my liking (jolizon having the same color is just a huge coincidence). I am on the most up-to-date version of ironCAD. I just made a random scene with circles in it because a curved surface is where rendering quality of 2D sketches would be most helpful. When large diameter circles are formed as reference, the snap points fall in space where the curve is actually and not where it is shown which can cause some difficulty at times.

The snap point is a known issue that we are working on. Part of it is display performance of true curves versus facet represented (which are faster). The image you sent however showed the curve in a much more facetted state. Do you have that file? The images we posted don't show that happening and I wanted to make sure we are seeing the same issue. Let us know.

Unfortunately the source sketch was only for reference and has since been deleted because the machine was finalized that it came from. It does seem a bit extreme in comparison to the other sketches i have imported. Next time i bring one in and this happens i will be sure to save and post here, Thanks.

P.S. - I was mostly wondering if there was a utility (such as the smoothing one in ICMECH) that would allow for the adjustment of resolution on sketches in 3D space.

Edited by SSIMMONS

There is not an option at the moment. We are looking into a better smoothing display for the sketch. 

As a side note, was the import you posted originally imported into a default sketch or into the Import as Reference Sketch. I think there may be a difference in the display quality between them.

Cary