Animation Limits?

Is there a limititation to the length ( in seconds) of a animation?

Is there a limitation to the amount of frames to an animation?

I sort of remember that I had reached some sort of "file size" for animation, but cant remeber what is was.

any help is appreciated.

Tom

Guest EricFoy
Is there a limititation to the length ( in seconds) of a animation?

22088[/snapback]

I think it depends... In the case of, say, Roadrunner and Coyote, I would say there's no practical limit. I mean, I can just watch those guys for hours on end and never get tired of it.

Yup, at 300 seconds it stops. Had a user calling who needed an extra 10 seconds...

Though I would strongly recommend you to make several shorter clips and join them in a program like MS Movie Maker or similar. It ain't to funny if the animation goes corrupt in some way and needs to be done again.

OK my client created a 5 minute animation. 30 framereate so 9000 frames. Took 16 hours to export AVI an is now 5GB file.

Heres the new delima, can't find a movie player app that will open it. Apparently no player ( Windows media player, quicktime, Camplayer) dont want to open files larger than 1GB.

Can anyone suggest an app that will play these videos? Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Tom

OK my client created a 5 minute animation. 30 framereate so 9000 frames. Took 16 hours to export AVI an is now 5GB file.

Heres the new delima, can't find a movie player app that will open it. Apparently no player ( Windows media player, quicktime, Camplayer) dont want to open files larger than 1GB.

Can anyone suggest an app that will play these videos? Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Tom

22129[/snapback]

Tom-

You may want to try a 64-bit machine. A 32-bit OS has a max filesize of 4GB. Just the fact that you say the new AVI is 5GB implies that this was done on a 64-bit machine, but if not, I would not be surprised if the file itself is garbage. If it WAS done on a 64-bit machine, there are both 32-bit AND 64-bit media players probably installed. Usually, the 32-bit one is the default, and so you need to go and hunt down the 64-bit executable on the disk.... of course, the reason 32-bit players are the default is because there is not a lot of support yet for the wide range of video codecs, which could be your next problem...

Tom-

You may want to try a 64-bit machine.  A 32-bit OS has a max filesize of 4GB.  Just the fact that you say the new AVI is 5GB implies that this was done on a 64-bit machine, but if not, I would not be surprised if the file itself is garbage.  If it WAS done on a 64-bit machine, there are both 32-bit AND 64-bit media players probably installed.  Usually, the 32-bit one is the default, and so you need to go and hunt down the 64-bit executable on the disk.... of course, the reason 32-bit players are the default is because there is not a lot of support yet for the wide range of video codecs, which could be your next problem...

22151[/snapback]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the insight. This was actually created on 32-bit machine since IC is not supporting 64 bit yet. I have done some testing and found that using the CamSTudio Lossless Codec created the same file from 5GB to 90MB which now can be played on a "normal" PC. Also found that the CamStudio codec created far superior quality then the uncompressed full frames codec.

BTW, I had tried every codec on the list, by the majority do not work, some becuase additional software is required, and others just dont know. Onky 4 actually work out of the extensive list.

tx

tom

• 2 months later...

I found a way to create animations longer then 5 minutes.

First, make sure this registry key is set to the amount of seconds you want:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IronCAD\IRONCAD 10.0\General\SmartMotionTimeLength

Then use the Blank Scene template, it will set the maximum animation length to whatever is set in the SmartMotionTimeLength Registry key (the other templates are already set at 300 seconds and cannot be changed)