Global Editing Of Facet Parameters

Bernd Meißner

Sorry, if this is a stupid question that reveals my IC noob/block status ...

How do I change the part/rendering parameter "surface smoothness" for all objects of a scene at once? Assemblies don't have this parameter and consequently can't apply it to linked children. Which obvious button did I overlook?

Bernd

Under Tools > Options > Parts tab you can set it for new parts added.

IronPRO XT has a function called Set Smoothness in the PROUtils catalog. If you drop it in the background you can set a value for all existing parts in the scene. If you drop it on a part it will set the smoothness only for that part.

Under Tools > Options > Parts tab you can set it for new parts added.

Yes, I knew that. My problem is I have to create facetted exports (from a finished file) in several resolutions...

IronPRO XT has a function called Set Smoothness in the PROUtils catalog. If you drop it in the background you can set a value for all existing parts in the scene. If you drop it on a part it will set the smoothness only for that part.

18286[/snapback]

Ummm... that means I need a US$ 600.- extension for a basic funktion like this? Ouch.

If I get this right, my only solution at the moment is a complete export/import of the whole file using an exchange format like X_T, in order to create parts at the resolution needed...

Thanks anyway :-)

Bernd

You can't change the Surface Smoothness of Facet parts. However, for solids there is the "ModelHelper" API sample that will change the Surface Smoothness of all selected solids.

Go to C:\Program Files\IronCAD\10.0\ICAPI\Docs\ICAPIHELP.chm for more info.

or

In V10, select al the parts, go to the Property Browser and edit the Surface Smoothness value and all selected parts will update.

You can't change the Surface Smoothness of Facet parts. 

Yes, this has not been my question. My task is to *create* facetted parts from solids. And, using formats like VRML or 3DS, the surface subdivision/resolution of all exported files is controlled by the "surface smoothness" parameter of my parts.

However, for solids there is the "ModelHelper" API sample that will change the Surface Smoothness of all selected solids.

18288[/snapback]

Thanks, I'll look at it. This sounds more like the answer I've been looking for... :-)

Bernd

18288[/snapback]

Well, been there, done that... almost. I don't get it to work, although I did what the Help file said (and what it didn't say):

- I registered the DLL using the Samples\C++\ModelingHelper\Registration\*.reg file

- (after several attempts that didn't work) I copied the DLL to the IronCad\9.0\Bin\ folder

My problem is: the ModelingHelper shows up in the Applications/AddIns dialog (where Design/Variations and SmartAssembly already are), but the dialog doesn't show the location of the DLL, and the checkmark (once set) doesn't stick. Every time I re-open the AddIns dialog, it's unchecked again. What am I doing wrong?

Bernd

Try registering the following DLL files:

3iicapibase.dll

3iicapicore.dll

3iicapidrawing.dll

3iicapiironcadapp.dll

ModelingHelper.dll

To register the DLL files:

Close IronCAD

Go to \Program Files\IronCAD\9.0\bin

Double-click the file 3iicapibase.dll, in the Open With dialog, click Browse, then select C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe to open the file with. Open, OK.

Then just double-click each of the remaining files listed above.