F-prot Antivirus Problem

Doug Gower

re: F-Prot Antivirus and IronCAD

I wanted to point this out incase anyone else is using F-Prot Antivirus. After struggling with IronCAD bogging down slower and slower over a period of time. My antivirus license finally expired. My 3D models were getting larger and larger but I was having a hard time getting any work done. I could work on my new projects without much problem, but when I went to open up anything older it was a struggle to get any work done at all and I was starting to get worried that if I needed to go back and change something I wouldn't be able to get it done. I thought I had tried turning off antivirus to see if that was a problem, but evidently I must not have shut it off completely. I have the 3GB switch and 2GB of RAM. I have a lot of components in these models so I thought they were just getting too big, but IronCAD support told me otherwise.

This computer was built by a company that didn't supply antivirus unless I purchased one from them but I decided instead I was going to buy and install F-Prot myself. It worked good, was inexpensive and we had some other Windows computers around that could use it. I think the cost was $50 for 10 computers.

Finally, I had some time to try to figure out the problem and since the antivirus license expired I decided to try out another one. I looked around a little to find something I liked and ended up trying Kaspersky. So far I've only tried the demo, but my problems with IronCAD running slow have almost gone away completely. I would be interested to know what other people use and if they've had any issues. It seems that somehow F-Prot was interfering with IronCAD.

Thanks,

Doug

Guest John Wright

Doug

I use AVG on all my machines and it seems fine - I have also used CCleaner - which helped clear enough space on one of the laptops to help it run - Windows cleared it to 230Mb - CClenaer got it to 2.3Gb!

Another thing that I noticed - if I run Outlook on the same machine - this has a big effect unless I turn engineer mode off! With that I mean keeping everything I get and send - apart from spam. when I was forced into this non-engineer mode - IronCAd really picked up!

John

- I have also used CCleaner - which helped clear enough space on one of the laptops to help it run - Windows cleared it to 230Mb - CClenaer got it to 2.3Gb!

17745[/snapback]

John,

I don't know what CCleaner is? But if it is what I think you're talking about, I have tons of hard drive space and that wasn't part of the problem. At any rate, thanks for the information.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I used Kaspersky about 3 years ago but it didn't work together with AutoCAD so we had to change antivirus (things can have changed since then). Since that we have Symantec and it works OK, but the computers slow down.

The last year I have used the antivirus program NOD32 www.eset.com on my home computer and I'm impressed about it, because it has fast updates and it only needs a small amount of memory. The computer really became faster! Now I am planning to buy NOD32 the office. Is there anyone who have experiance with NOD 32 together with IronCad?

Anders

Edited by Anders Lindgren