Drawing/Scene Link Troubles

Dave Parrish

OK, IronDudes... here is a challenge for you:

I have a drawing that is linked to a scene. The scene is of an assemble of several parts. The drawing consists of several sheets, each for a different part of the assembly, which is the scene.

When I changed a part in the scene and tried to update drawing views on the sheet for that part, IC changed the file it was linked to! This was most unexpected and I can not seem to get IC to use the correct file. Every time I try, I get the same results.

The first sheet of the drawing is for one of the parts, but without machining. The second sheet is the machining for that part.

That is the part I changed in the scene, but the drawing defaults to the unmachined version. No matter what I have tried, the unmachined part supercedes my drawing for the machining. And, its the machining that I changed.

This is not good... Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? Outside of the obvious "Delete and Re-do" of the sheet in question?

Thanks,

Dave Parrish

Hi Dave.

I have had similar problems and worse. In the event that you haven't already checked this, be sure that you don't have certain configurations selected in the drawing view model properties. Double check configurations so that they haven't mysteriously changed on you also.

Perhaps it is the nut behind the wheel, but it seems that any time I get a detailed assembly with linked parts and configurations of parts my drawings go haywire. It forces me to do things manually which defeats a lot of the purpose. I just pray that I don't have to make drastic changes later, and mark my drawings with a "secret code" so that I know when I need to manually go back and update dummy parts etc. to reflect change. It's an accident waiting to happen.

John Mouser

JADIUM Corporation

Charlotte, NC

Hey, John...

Thanks for the thought about Configurations... Unfortunately, there are no Configurations used in this scene. It is simply the assembly, consisting of 6 unique parts, 22 total parts.

The problem part is one which we will get waterjet-cut, then machine select surfaces. So, there is a raw part drawing for the waterjet vendor. And, a machined part drawing for the machine shop.

Sounds simple enough, and it was... until I want to make some slight changes to the machined part. Then, all the work of creating the machined part drawing went out the window when IC decided, somehow, for that drawing sheet to be associated with the waterjet-cut raw part instead of the machined part in the scene.

Nuts, eh?

Dave Parrish

Parrish Associates, Inc.

Wake Forest, NC 27588-0972

919-556-3952

919-556-3225 Fax

dave@pai-design.com

www.pai-design.com

Hi Dave,

In your example, you are going to need to use configurations in the scene and reference the configurations in the drawing views. Why: When you create drawing views, the views are created off the scene (Assembly.ics). If you are changing the scene then creating drawing views, you are only creating views of the scene at the current state (I.E. Assembly.ics). If you update the views (Meaning update all views relative to Assembly.ics) then of course all the views will update to the current scene view in Assembly.ics. This is why you are losing your views because they all refer to the current state of Assembly.ics. Configurations allow you to create different states of Assembly.ics by suppression and position. These configurations can be at the part level or at the Intellishape level. When you create drawing views, you can specify which configuration to use for the view. When you update all the views, they will update based on the configuration in the scene.

Hope this helps,

Cary

Cary,

I don't think that you are getting what Dave is saying.

Actually I created the drawings that Dave is having trouble with. What I did was, I created a model ie an assembly (no configurations, b/c there is no need for any configurations, BTW configurations don't work as well as they should I've wasted many hours just trying to use them)...

Then I extracted the single part files and made drawings of them each on their own separate page... One in particular was "Part.ics"... Then I realized that I forgot to make a model that was over sized for the Water Jet to cut out... So I took "Part.ics" and saved it out as "Part - WJ.ics" and made a new sheet and detailed that part... Well, when Dave had made a change to the original part (Part.ics) and went to update it in the drawing it was no longer linked to "Part.ics", but rather "Part - WJ.ics"... So I had 2 sheets that were associated with "Part - WJ.ics"... All b/c I had the drawing open and saved out the original "Part.ics" as "Part - WJ.ics"

Does that make sense? Or did I confuse the issue even more?

Joel Parrish

www.pai-design.com

At this point it seems the only solution may be for us to get the files from you. I suppose there could be a guid for the files that the drawing is pointing to instead of the file names which might cause something like this.

Can you email them to us at techsupport@ironcad.com ?

Dave & Joel when you created the 2D drawing is it comprised of sheet 1 & 2 or are they 2 distinct separate distinct drawings? If they are sheet 1 & 2 you may want to try saving them as separate distinct drawings and while in 2D do a control shift L to relink them to their respective models.

cpariseau, the drawings are sheets 1 & 2 of a drawing file. As of now, the issue has been resolved. However not as cleanly as first hoped.

First, I'd like to compliment the IC support crew for their quick and attentive response to this issue.

What we had to do was use control-shift-L to relink the original file with the drawing file. And since the Water Jet drawing wasn't as detailed, we simply deleted the Water Jet drawing and created a new sheet with that part on it.

I take it that this doesn't happen very often, that a drawing file is open and linked to a model and then the model is saved out as something else. B/c if it was more common, then there would probably be an easier work around or atleast one that is less counter-productive.

Thanks again Chris & Cary.

Joel Parrish

www.pai-design.com

I've been able to reproduce at least part of your problem, i.e. when I have a drawing with two sheets using different sources and then change the source for one using crtl-shift-L, the other sheet changes to the same source (or in other words, changing the source acts globally). Once you're caught in that loop, there's no way out other than deleting the sheet. This is clearly a bug.

Cheers,

Beat

Hi Beat,

When you do a Ctrl-Shift-L, it lists all the references for all the sheets in the entire drawing, not a sheet-by-sheet basis. So if you change sources, it will affect the entire drawing. Today there is no way to change a source for a specified sheet. This may be a good enhancement request if this is common practice. As for the problems describe above, we are not yet clear how the source changed on its own. So if any one can see a reproducible case or experiences this, please let support know.

Thanks

Cary

quote:
When you do a Ctrl-Shift-L, it lists all the references for all the sheets in the entire drawing, not a sheet-by-sheet basis.
id=quote>
id=quote>

Hi Cary

On my machine, it actually lists only one source - the one the last sheet is referring to, as far as I can tell. Cleary, the way it should be is that all the sources are listed and that you can change them individually. Forgive me my impertinence, but I'd still put that in the bug fix request section smile.gif

Cheers,

Beat

Cary,

You said "As for the problems describe above, we are not yet clear how the source changed on its own. So if any one can see a reproducible case or experiences this, please let support know"

I can make it happen every time!

It's very easy... make an assembly of 2 or 3 different parts... I did a cylinder, a Block & an Elipse... I made a drawing with sheets for reach... then with the drawing still open I goto file and open, opened the part that was the Block, ( you can do it by right click and edit scene too ) Then save the part out as something else... and put a hole in it... update the drawing and it has changed the model it was referenced to... but not the original scene with the 3 parts on it... If that is of any confusion, I'll make you guys a video...

Joel Parrish

www.pai-design.com

Attached to this message is a zip of an AVI of how I can make it happen. What I didn't show in the video was quite interesting as well. This time the original scene file with the 3 externally linked parts changed to refer to the "Block w hole.ics" as well as the drawing. Not the first time I've seen this, but worth noting that it doesn't happen all the time.

I hope this file upload works, looks kinda sketchy to me....

Joel Parrish

www.pai-design.com

link problem.zip

link problem.zip