Scene Vs Drawing Size

Guest mstrengell

Guest mstrengell

Hello,

I have a equipment layout of an engineroom on a yacht and from the scene wich is 46M

I have made an drawing with a top view and two section views and a isometric shaded view, and the drawing is 90M!

How come the drawing gets so large I have noticed this on several .ics vs .icd files, it is almost impossible to work with the .icd.

Mis

It is due to the sections in most cases. We have to create a section body to reflect the section since it does not truly exist. We are aware of this and will continue to look into this. One note is do not compare to AutoCAD. All 3D Modelers will be larger than 2D systems.

Cary

Guest Adrian Wick

I have the same problem, the .ICS in my mind has all the data, and the .ICD file just has a few lines and a link to the .ICS file. (note: the ICD file needs the .ICS file to regenerate) so why cant the ICD file just store a reference to the ICS file with the same lines that show up in a PDF.

Adrian,

We do in a way (and it can be better). The issue for section views is that the section views do not exist. So the data for the section view is stored on the drawing. There is additional information stored on the drawing as well (like hidden line data, silhouette lines, merged lines, and reference ID's to the scene information). So there is a fair amount of data there still (not the big brep that the scene carries). Oh...If your views are precise, the drawing will increase as well (I'll have to ask R&D why that is the case, but the geometry is from the kernels versus facet data). Also, shaded views will increase the drawing size since we have to create a raster (which I think is BMP which are large).

Cary

I dont know if this happens to other people but I can open a drawing and do a SAVE AS with doing absolutly nothing and the file might get bigger and it might even get smaller by doing this. Is there a reason for this? Just thought I would throw that out there

I dont know if this happens to other people but I can open a drawing and do a SAVE AS with doing absolutly nothing and the file might get bigger and it might even get smaller by doing this. Is there a reason for this? Just thought I would throw that out there

16616[/snapback]

Funny you mention this, I have experienced this issue with other apps like powerpoint. I.e. I have a 8MB powerpoint file, Save and stays the same size, when I save As it will get significantly smaller like 1 MB.

So it almost appears that IC is not totally to blame here, it may be that Billy Boy is peering around the corner as well.

Don't know for sure, but who knows huh.gif

Tom

Tom,

You are correct. This is something with MS files. I don't know the details but it is either compound documents or storages. Anyway, there are ways to purge it (I have seen utilities for SW that do this) but we are unclear how safe they are. We will have to investigate further to know for sure. The SaveAs basically does a purge to the extra data stored by rewriting it. A purge would have to delete without rewrite, that's why it has to be investgated.

Cary

Guest mstrengell

Well it is nice to hear that others are experiencing the sam thing with the sizes on the drawing, here I thougt that there was something wrong with the files I made.

Obviously the file sizes are large in all 3D modelling apps, but why compare to others aren´t IC aiming for the stars?

Really, this is not a problem if you only have a couple of parts in your assembly, but with this stuff we are dealing with here there are endless amout of parts, as we are making a complete layout of a yacht. Then when you start to assemble this you can link in the systems each and that way keeping the scene a bit smaller, but we still need to make drawing of this and belive me it is almost impossible to do today.

also to make sections are one off the great things about 3D modelling so it should not have to create these kind of file sizes, I mean this is something that we all need to use!

a nother thing why is IC always asking me about this?

(incase the attachment did not work: Part will be regenerated in order to get mass. .....) it is OK but why ask it every time?

IC9_question.htm

Well I said not to compare to a 2D system just because there are major differences. I think majority of the 3D systems have the problem, but like I said we it can be better and we will try to make it better. The section view is heavy because it has to be stored on the drawing (unless you want to be prompted to save your scene file every time you create a 2D drawing section view). Plus it needs to be more than just a face section. It has to be a full body to support hidden lines etc. Anyway, the real question is.....Is the file size a real issue with the drives sizes we have today or is it performance on interaction and load/save? We currently are working on the assumption that the latter is more important.

Cary

BTW: I can't see the attached HTM file.

One test drawing.icd = 12.7MB

Exported .icd to PDF = 200KB

Compressed .icd (.zip) = 3.09MB

Space saved = approx 75%

I was working on a Mastercard ad but with all of my drawings, I ran out of hard disk space. Just kidding Cary... Actually most of my drawings are a lot smaller. I just wanted to point this out because it wasn't that long ago the space would have been a big problem.

I think it is a little of both that we want smaller file sizes because of performance and we cant just say it is ok to have larger file sizes because drives are getting bigger. This is a common fault of Microsoft also that they have this mentality. At my company it is the quantities of scenes and drawings we produce on a daily basis that makes us want smaller file sizes because we are required to keep them at least 2 years before deleting them. I know this isn't IronCADS fault but if we could get them a little more manageable my IS department wouldn't be all over my back about all data we need to save.

I also got some problems with the file sizes in IronCAD!

I had a drawing (a mounting manual) containing 4 sheets of a pretty big scene with a lot of views.

I liked the frontpage setup pretty much and decided to save it as a template for later use

Afterwards I deleted the sheets and views from the template I wasnt going to use ..and saved it again!

BUT by checking the explorer the templates filesize - the one just saved was approximately 62Mb!!!!!

It is only containing a blank sheet with a frame and some text on!!!!

NO drawing views NOTHING!!

Template files..:

post-22588-1168338414_thumb.jpg

Template contents..:

post-22588-1168338395_thumb.jpg

c_skytte