Ironcad On Mac!

Jonas@Solidmakarna

Well, installing IronCAD on a Mac using Bootcamp is - from a technical point of view - running it on Mac/Intel hardware, but not running it on a Mac (OS). I've been using IronCAD (Inovate) on an old Mac Pro for several years , running in Bootcamp/Windows 7-64 Pro. It worked fine until version 2016 or 2017 or so, but then it became increasingly unstable with the last couple of versions, I guess mostly due to graphics card issues with the old Mac hardware. And then there's the old Windows version, too, which is highly reliable and stable on its own, but only with older software written for this version…

With an 128GB drive I wouldn't even think about installing Bootcamp and IronCAD. No way this would work, hosting two operating systems including applications. A 500GB drive is minimum for that (also think of the large swap files created when using some applications).

I have migrated my main IronCAD installation to a "real" PC now, where it works fine with current versions. I also have a later (2015) MacBook Pro running Windows 10 in Bootcamp, on which I could test IronCAD, but haven't done yet.

Bernd

Update: I've installed IronCAD 2021 on my MacBook Pro (2015). It works, but the graphics performance is extremely poor, no matter which graphics mode is selected. When trying to pan or orbit the screen content, it takes about 10 seconds before the screen even starts moving. I'm not sure why it's so bad, and I'm not sure if there's anything that can be set to improve it. These are the the hardware + Windows specs:

1893395126_Anmerkung2022-01-12111646.thumb.png.229c6072158ea9612697b4306a9435d1.png599948116_Anmerkung2022-01-12112345.png.99a833310102278acd58e20c03d7c179.png

• 1 year later...

Hello! Just installed on an Apple silicon M3 Macbook with Parallels + Windows 11 and... it works! :o

Had to change graphics driver to OpenGL2 instead of DirectX, but nothing else was needed.
(Menu>Options>Rendering>Driver Type)

Note: I only just tested this, threw in a few parts to see if it could handle them and all worked fine. But I haven't done sustained work where I assume there might be problems floating around different areas.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2023 at 7:31 AM, Josh said:

Hello! Just installed on an Apple silicon M3 Macbook with Parallels + Windows 11 and... it works! :o

Had to change graphics driver to OpenGL2 instead of DirectX, but nothing else was needed.
(Menu>Options>Rendering>Driver Type)

Note: I only just tested this, threw in a few parts to see if it could handle them and all worked fine. But I haven't done sustained work where I assume there might be problems floating around different areas.

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Do you have any new findings to report on ?

I assume you are running this on Windows 11 ARM version ?

Thanks

Tony