PDF files from IronCAD may not work with Acrobat 4

A user of IronCAD has discovered that Adobe Acrobat Reader version 4 may not "render" the PDF files from IronCAD correctly. One symptom was black sqaures where the drawing views should be.

This person reported that upgrading to Acrobat 5 resolved his issues.

Chris.

How about the missing symbol problem. This has been brought up several times and it seems to be being ignored. Having Pdf capability is great but if the symbols don't show up then the Pdf is useless. The drawing is incomplete.

I'm actually surprised that this hasn't been all over the board. Or are we the only ones having this problem?

Rick,

I've been printing to Acrobat Distiller for several years and early on I found the resulting pdf files couldn't render the symbol fonts on other people's machines. The fonts required are vds_weld, etc, anything that starts with "vds" in the font name. Now here's where it gets interesting.

I'm using Acrobat 4.0. Distiller has a choice to "embed" certain fonts, and you can pick which ones to "always embed". So naturally I thought that would solve the problem, and I just selected the vds fonts to always be embedded. Well, to my surprise this did NOT fix the problem. As I didn't want to spend time on it, I simply zipped up the vds fonts and sent them to my machine shop, and they installed them on their computer, and now they can read them with their pdf reader.

I still have no idea why "embedding" the vds fonts in Distiller doesn't work.

Regards,

Peter Domenicali

The "missing symbol syndrome" with PDF export from IC doesn't seem to be a problem of missing fonts, since it occurs also when the PDF is opened on the same machine. Printing to PDF with Docucom or pdf995 works correctly (although the former screws up character spacing sometimes) in the same environment. So for the time being, my favorite remains pdf995. It's cheap ($10 or even if you don't mind pop-up advertisement) although the interface for the interesting special functions (e.g. page combination) is rather cumbersome.

Beat

Sure, every challenge has a solution. We could use Solidworks too to do things that IC doesn't. Maybe throw in some Inventer, Pro-E and Solid Edge as well. That ought to cover pretty much everything.

The least amount of software installed on your system the better. Windows works well if you never use it and never install any software on top of it.

I have used pdf995 and it does get the job done-it was happily uninstalled when IC apparently did pdf.

The thing is that IC gave us this tool and it doesn't work. I find it absolutely inconceivable that this omission made it through QA. Someone had to notice this. So is this a marketing thing to advertise that IC makes Pdf files to communicate with others? The fact is that it doesn't work. We're not playing horseshoes here. (This is like a word processor that prints your documents with none of the vowels.)

Remember, software is like keys on your keychain. Say what?

Years ago an older coworker said to me one day "You sure have alot of problems for a young guy." Well I had the world by the cajones then and asked what the heck he was talking about. He pointed to my keychain which had about fifty keys on it (I was important y'know) and said these life altering words,

"Every key on that chain is a problem."

Today I have 2 keys - My house and my car.

Cheers

Great Stuff, Rick... Thanks for sharing that key analogy. Didn't realize that being an IC user could result in philosophy lessons as well.

And, ain't Windows just loaded with "keys"?

The 90/10 rule applies to most MS software... 90% of users only use 10% of the capability of the software. (ie. Word) biggrin.gif

Guest IronKevin

Honestly, I did see this bug before release. I told R&D, R&D fixed it, I tested the fix and it worked great. That was 5.2 beta, sometime after that it must of got stepped on and no one caught it.

The truth as I saw it,

IronKevin

Glad to share it Dave.

Kevin, just as I would expect from you guys. That's why I'm surprised.

Stuff happens and things slip through. If you fixed it once I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to fix it again. Or maybe it's not that simple.

And since we're telling the whole truth here I recently came across a little aluminum bottle opener. The kind they give away at shows and other places. I pondered the mass, volume and other pertinent factors and decided it was worth carrying around.

I still can't twist off a Corona.