Window Select

bbuche

How come the window select doesn't work right away or is it just me. I have to click and hold my mouse in one spot for 2 seconds and then do my box. What happens now is if I don't wait it starts about in the middle of all the things I want and I continually have to do it over if I am inpatient which I know I am. Do you think it is my computer or is anybody else having this problem too?

Thanks

Brian

Guest IronKevin

I do see this problem on large files.

One solution is to use a Graphics Card that supports the OpenGL Overlay Plane which improves selection performance drastically.

IK

Any form of the box select in 2D and 3D. Yes, this is mostly in larger files, but all we do are larger files so it's an all the time thing. New drawings, old drawings, new scenes old scenes.

This is frustrating all the time for all of us here.

Kevin seemed to have a good solution with the OpenGL Overlay planes. Look under tools/options/rendering. If your card supports Overlay Planes, then you will be able to check the option in this dialog. It will make a difference for the box select and general selection. You may need to turn the overlay planes on in the card setting first. I seem to have better luck on nVidia cards for this support.

Cary

Do you mean, did I check the OpenGL box in the Ironcad options? No, because I was told to leave it on Software due to other issues we've had.

I'm going to wait till Mike gets back to give better answers on this one now that it's gone to hardware settings and he knows why we have our settings the way we have em.

Steve

I experience a slightly different behavior from my colleagues. The delay occurs only when I have my rendering set to OpenGL. When set to "Software", there is no delay.

I went to the nVidia site & downloaded the latest driver for WinXP, set the Video Overlay to "On". Then in IronCAD, I changed the rendering to OpenGL.

When I opened a medium sized scene (about 30 feet x 30 feet), there was a definite delay of more than one second on the box select. Switching to Software rendering got rid of the delay.

What is strange is that we have at least one user who experiences the delay on Box Select regardless of the rendering setting.

Personally, I switch back and forth between OpenGL and Software, depending on what I am doing. I like some of the features that OpenGL provides, but there are also some annoying behaviors that come with it (for instance, when moving parts with the TriBall, the original part location isn't highlighted - and the above mentioned delay with box select.)