Transparent parts?

Guest Urban Olars

Guest Urban Olars

Hi!

I have had a graphics problem with IronCAD since I started using it. The problem is that parts becomes partly visible through other parts that is in front of them. The more you zoom out, the more of this effect you get. This is not so fun if you export pictures that you want to be of high quality. The problem is of course more obvious if you use black part edges.

Is this a graphics card problem or is it an IronCAD problem? Or both?

Unfortunately I only have a GeForce 2 MX card, which I personally think is not a good card for the task. It would however be easier for me to convince my boss to buy a better graphics card if the problem could be traced to my recent one. Using the latest drivers hasnt helped me.

What about you other users out there that has Fire GL2 and cards like that, do you suffer from the same problem that I do? All computers that I have been running IronCAD on has been equipped with GeForce 2, so Im curios to hear a report from people with better cards.

I have tried to insert a picture to this post that shows an example of the problem, and I hope it works this time! I have made red circles around the parts that not should be visible in this case.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=416

Box2.gif

Sample.zip

Sample.zip

post-391-354-1841.jpg_thumb

Sample.exe

Urban:

I've seen this before on multiple CAD s/w and several different cards. Right now I'm using a Wildcat 4150, and I see what you're talking about whenever the foreground part is very thin in relation to the distance from the camera. I'm pretty sure this is related to the number of bits of resolution of the Z buffer of the graphics card. For each face of each object it must decide whether it is nearer or farther than another object that is at the same point in the field of view. If farther, it doesn't draw the facets for that face. With a 24-bit Z buffer, the resolution is about 1 part in 2^24, or 1:16,000,000. One would expect that with a scene say, 10 meters deep, it could resolve parts as thin as 1 micrometer! However, there must be further factors involved, as you will see the background part "disappear" if you move it a bit farther behind the foreground part (try moving it about 1 mm and see what happens).

So anyway, I don't think it is only related to Ironcad, and yes, a more expensive graphics card with a "deeper" Z buffer (try 32 bits) should help.

Regards,

Peter Domenicali

Guest Urban Olars

No!

The Open GL option is something I have tried before and it doesn't make any difference on any of the computers I have used.

I am familiar with the problem also. Is the component that is showing thru setting directly on the back of the surface it is showing thru? I have seen less of a problem if the item in question is moved away from the surface .010 to .015. In most cases I have not seen this to be a problem, even in 2D as the measurement tolerance default can be set to round off, thus ignoring the .015

• 18 years later...

I find that if I go to isometric view, press F8 and then change the view from there, things seem to render properly.

Worked a couple times for me so far but I can not say whether this will work for you.