Vba Support For Ironcad 9.0

Cary OConnor

Hi All,

We are currently considering removing VBA support from IronCAD in version 9.0. Is anyone using VBA? IronCAD will continue to support its API that uses both VB and C++ development environments. Please let us know if you are currently using VBA.

Thanks,

Cary

Guest ebedding

I have heard C++ is a better & more powerful development environment for faster & more robust code?

I have also heard VBA is possibly easier to learn & use?

I only need to do some simple customization, and anything Ironcad can provide to make that easier for me would be great.

Ironcad support of both C++ and VBA is probably time consuming? Would the effort be better spent on important core software enhancements. Are there any additional Pro's & Cons surrounding this issue?

Edited by ebedding

Well there is additional work to maintain the VBA support and it could have side effects on operations in IronCAD. In addition, if we want to allow users to install both IronCAD and Inovate on the same machine, we need to remove VBA. VBA is really for customizations that are tied to a scene. The API using C++ has more power and debugging capabilities so it is better to use.

Cary

Hi Robert,

The ICAPI today can support VB or C++. The old automation interface will still exist unsupported as is today. VBA is an additional capability. VBA works in the scene under Macros... Basically it uses the old automation interface and programs within a particular scene versus a general VB add-on that can run on any scene. To my knowledge, very few people have used this. I older versions of IronCAD, we had a double-click pop-up camera orientation tool for scenes. This was using VBA.

Hope that helps.

Cary

Hi Cary

I'm using an extended version of the camera direction tool. Now if you would be willing to add the 4 missing standard views to the camera picker toolbar, I would give you my blessings for removing VBA support smile.gif

Cheers,

Beat

Precisely! And while you're at it, could you add them to the drawing environment, too?

Thanks in advance rolleyes.gif

Beat

• 14 years later...