Radii Outside Or Inside?

Christian Skytte

Hi,

When I place a radius on a circle it confuses me that IC "randomise" the way it chooses to place the lines Inside or Outside!!

In the attached jpeg You'll see what I mean!

post-22588-1138174473_thumb.jpg

On the circles with the radii 2,54 and 7,54 it chooses to be Inside!

On the three others it somehow wants to be Outside

...Whats the big idea?

'Cus it sux!

And you can't even see the arrow on the radius 2,54!!

c_skytte

Guest cdeveaux

Yes, this has always annoyed me. Worse yet, it disobeys the setting in "Dimension Properties" set for that purpose. When I say I want it inside or outside, the dimension should OBEY THE SETTING!!! (I hate it when computer program disobey commands, don't you?) It has been like this forever, since 3.2 at least.

Oh, and sometimes I need to force the arrow to display even if it would not by default, normally. I want to be the one to decide if it is worth displaying or not.

So the first is a bug report (as far as I am concerned, if it ignores a setting, that is a bug), the second is an enhancement request.

NOW I'm really pissed!

I've made some spin shape and now I can't place a radius or a diameter on lines, which is curving inwards!!

In this pic you'll see what I mean

post-22588-1138778755_thumb.jpg

It is working ALL RIGHT (as U can see) with the dimension on the outside, but the other way IT JUST DON'T WORK!!

...WHAT THE F@#K is going on?????

STOP RELEASING THIS CRAPPY BETA PRODUCT!!! - UNTIL IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!

PLEASE!!

If you don't you win the BUG awards!

C.

Edited by Christian Skytte

Guest IronKevin

Your "strange" dimension is an inside set Diameter dimension. Here's an image of inside radius and outside diameter dims. Beyond that I don't see a problem.

post-10-1138801676_thumb.jpg

Hi Wayne! (and the rest of you!)

Tanx for the hint!!

I have just tried it out and it seems to work but Im NOT over welled at all!!

I simply cannot understand why a simple thing like that (AMONG MANY OTHERS) just doesnt get fixed??

I have worked with this program for a month now (that doesnt make me an expert) and on the training course they told me that this community existed! To be honest I didnt think it was important to know at all BUT I WAS TERRIBLE WRONG!!

Because I have spend a lot of time waiting for PUs and Hotfixes day after day!!

I have been working with a couple of other CAD programs (Solid Edge (5 years), Pro/E (1½ year)), and I NEVER had to contact any community or help centre to help me with some common or everyday used-operations to make a CAD program work!!

I am VERY apprehensive about the future!

I still cant figure out why it is such a major problem to for the developer (of IC) NOT to correct so annoying and irritating problems for the users!! We are the reason why you exist, do something about it!

Wayne? Dont get me wrong Im not trying to take it out on you!! ;o)

But trying to make them lean forward and support their customers!!

In expectation of BIG reformation..!

Christian Skytte

Guest IronKevin

Hello Christian,

Your complaints are common for all CAD:

But for mechanical engineering applications, design automation on

special machinery areas - that's the area SolidWorks is proudly

aiming at - you need to comply with drawing standards and also with

company standards. And you have to complete your work _on time_. And

these are the areas where SolidWorks sucks. There are immense problems

with the customisation but sadly a number of _basic_ features are

missing as well.

And, sadly again, there is no sign that this message would get through

to SolidWorks at all.

Janos

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

I use SolidWorks and IronCAD and believe me, there are many simple and quick things that IronCAD does that Solidworks people can only dream of. Try rotating a plane with a sketch on it, especially if the plane is one of the basic, set-in-stone ones. I'm not saying that IC is perfect, but overall, it is far less frustrating than SW.

7:56 AM, Feb. 2nd: I changed a reamed hole size in an SW part from .3750 to .3125 inches, then went back to the 2D drawing. SW decided to make the hole callout .3130 inches. Why? who knows, but this is just another irritating bug that got past the whizzes at SW....... mad.gif

Edited by dsulli555357

What is the default kernel of your part, and what is the precision on your drawing view (i.e. Draft mode, or Precise mode)? If they aren't already set to 'em, change the default model kernel to Parasolid, and make sure the drawing is set to "Precise Mode" and give her another try. In my experience, this is the best combination of model and drawing settings such that all the lines come out right and all the geometry that *SHOULD* be dimensionable is...

Edited by Mike Twining