Elipses

Daniel Catlin

Hi,

I have a job where the building is eliptical. The only way I can think of doing this is sweeping the profile.

The problem I have is that I can't figure out how to draw the elipse.

The building is about 70' long and 32' wide which gives me a problem with zooming out to the extents when I draw the curve path.

Any ideas will be appreciated

Regards

Danny

eliptical_profile.ics

Guest IronKevin

To draw an ellipse, first draw a circle, then right click it and go to Curve Properties. Turn off the Circle toggle and enter the Major and Minor radii.

IK

Hi IK,

Thanks for the help with the elipse.

Now that I can draw the path and the profile I have another couple of problems.

My client has an eliptical building and I need to facet a bullnose section around it in 1metre sections.

The purpose of the drawing is to get the quantities and the cut angles right. I am having problems with the scale because it is so big. (can't zoom out enough).

I've attached a file with a bullnose section so you can see what I'm up against.

How do I check that the elipse is right. I've tried dimensioning it off of a 2d drawing but I can't seem to pick up any lines.

I was going to attach the sweep that I did but it keeps giving me errors when I try to open it.

I'm not having a good day

Regards

Danny

Bullnose_Fascia.ics

Guest IronKevin

The Ellipse should dimension in the 2D Drawing with the Radius dimension. For the zoom issues, try turning off Perspective. If you keep have trouble with the ellipse file you can email it to support@ironcad.com

IK

Hi Daniel,

dimensions seem to work in the drawing at least. Please see attached.

11637[/snapback]

Alex,

I've probably explained this wrong. If you imagine a building eliptical in shape.

That profile has to go around the roof edge at the eaves in 1metre sections (3ft ish). When I do the sweep for the elipse, it doesn't look right, so I need to check the dimensions. I also need to show the dims for the client.

I will attempt to draw this and upload it later

Its a bit hard to explain

If you download the file on first message and imagine that on an eliptical path, that is the edge of the roof. The bullnose is going to be faceted around that section.

sorry for the misunderstanding.

Danny

Hi Daniel,

dimensions seem to work in the drawing at least. Please see attached.

11637[/snapback]

This is what I am trying to achieve.

I cannot dimension this in a 2d drawing

the elipse has got a twist in it that should not be there.

If you look at it from the top it doesn't look right

let me know what you think.

Danny

Eliptical_building.ics

Guest IronKevin

Hi Daniel,

I had to Split the Guide Curve so that the blue start arrow was at the cross section. Check out the new guide curve in the attached file. The geometry is the same its just the start point has moved from the center of the curve to the edge where it meets the cros section.

IK

Eliptical_building_fixed.ics

Hi Daniel,

I had to Split the Guide Curve so that the blue start arrow was at the cross section.  Check out the new guide curve in the attached file.  The geometry is the same its just the start point has moved from the center of the curve to the edge where it meets the cros section.

IK

11746[/snapback]

IK,

That's alot better thanks.

Just one more question. Can you mirror a part?

I found that if I draw a quarter of the elipse it comes out right but to make up the whole building I would have to mirror one of the parts.

Regards

Danny

PS I keep forgetting about the time difference between here and the States

Guest IronKevin

Yes, you can use the TriBall to Mirror parts. Select the part, position the TriBall to the point you want to mirror about, then right click the orientation handle that is perpendicukar to the mirror plane, chose a Mirror option.

IK

Yes, you can use the TriBall to Mirror parts.  Select the part, position the TriBall to the point you want to mirror about, then right click the orientation handle that is perpendicukar to the mirror plane, chose a Mirror option.

IK

11749[/snapback]

IK

Thanks for that.

Is there a way of locating the centres on an elipse.

The reason for asking is that I have to facet a section around that sweep you so kindly sorted out for me earlier.

The purpose of the drawing is to find the cut angle of each section.

I have included a model of what I have done so far

Regards

Danny

Rugby_Ball.ics

Guest IronKevin

Probably the only way is to find the midpoint between two points using the TriBall.

Select a part,

turn on the TriBall,

hit Spacebar to position the TriBall only,

right click the center dot of the TriBall,

choose To Midpoint-Point to Point.

IK