WindowsXP - Anyone using it?

Chris Lohman

I am told that IronCAD will be officiall certified for XP on the next point release. As we approach this release, I'm wondering if anyone is using XP and has experienced any bugs that seem to be XP only.

I have been using XP and have experienced only one bug. My toolbars constantly disappear.

Any one notice anything else?

I'm having the same problem with disappearing toolbars as you. Other than that, I don't think I've encountered any XP specific bugs so far.

Beat

Guest EricFoy

So, guys... When these toolbars disappear, do they ever reappear, or what? Is this a MAJOR problem? I just bought my new Athlon XP 1900 PC2100 DDR ATA/133 RAID box, and I'm wondering if I should go straight to XP, or stay with W2K for now.

What do you suggest? Thanks for the input.

-Eric

To me it's just a minor nuisance. The toolbars only go missing while there is no document open. The New and Open commands remain accessible through the keyboard shortcuts. Fixing the problem just takes deleting a file. So it's a pretty obvious bug, but it doesn't disturb my work flow significantly.

Beat

It's easily overcome by deleting the ironcad.tbc file. I setup a batch file on my desktop that does this. The file contains the following command:

del "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\IronCAD\IRONCAD\Customization\IRONCAD.tbc"

This really isn't a huge bug. I recommend you go with the XP. We're officially "certifying" the next point release for XP and that release is slated for the latter half of this quarter. Of course, if you find an XP specific bug that no one else has found, it might not be fixed until the point release.

If you just create a batch file on your desktop and copy in that line above then you can easily run it to clear out your tbc file whenever the toolbars disappear.

I am using XP for 3 weeks .

Ironcad runs very well, crashes reduced to 3 times in 3 weeks.

But XP is not without bugs: it rebooted 2 times without any warning and this morning I had a message: cannot boot ,file is damaged or missing: windows\system32\config\system.

I tryed everthing but ended up with completely new install......

Guest dlalonde

I recommend using win2k with service pack 2. It's stable (finally), and mature, and has solid video drivers from the card vendors. Windows XP locks up and restarts with the latest Nvidia detonator (!) driver, and there will be other teething pains until one or two service packs have been issued. Win2k is already fixed and is as solid as NT4sp5.

Absolutely. We use Win2K SP2 and I must admit that it is reasonably stable - for Windows that is. I chuckle when I hear about the new and improved OS and then people say they re-install every couple of weeks. We have Macs that haven't had a new system install in five or six years. The early adapters of XP will surely pay a price.

Interesting, I run it at work and at home and have never even rebooted either box. I run a GEForce2 at home and the latest Detonator drivers are great. I've never been so happy with a Microsoft OS as I have with XP Pro. Of course, I always rebuild a new OS from scratch, never upgrade. Upgrading a Microsoft OS is never a good idea because you end up with flaky junk that crashes all the time and nothing runs on it very well. Perhaps that's why others are experiencing problems with it.

Oh well, it's good to know that others are not as happy with it as I am. I can at least convey that knowledge when people ask me what I think about XP.

biggrin.gif

You guys are just too funny. It's getting hard to do any work.

I think Doug is just trying to suck me into the vortex with someone. Don't fall for it. Keep.....resisting. He knows I can't resist the temptation to bite on a Windows worm. (He sits not more than 8 feet from where I am.) He must be low on entertainment these days. New Imac anyone? icon_Smile_cool.gif

Just started using XP yesterday. Fire gl 2 works fine under XP. Two issues so far:

1) Menus not showing up, deleting the ironcad.tbc seems to work every time.

2) Triball copy assembly creates a linked assy that can't be unlinked. Unlink comand shows up and goes grey after it is used but link remains. Deleted copy and dragged original part to catalog and back into model to correct problem.

Also had trouble putting custom animations on camera for some reason, animation on parts worked fine.

I don't think that point 2) is related to XP. I've not been able to reproduce it on my system.

Beat

I've been using XP with IronCAD very successfully since getting my new P4. I *have* had the disappearing toolbars problem come up a few times:

1)the trial version of Inovate did it from the beginning

2)IronCAD has done it on a couple occasions, but only when I did something involving adding or changing Catalog files. Not sure if this was the real reason, though.

I figured it was the .tbc file, so fixing it was no problem.

IronCAD is still one of the few programs that gives me a little tingle of joy to use, though. I find myself muttering "this program rules" quite often... smile.gif

I removed xp today and went back to nt.

after 2 spontanious reboots earlier this week xp was not able to boot whatever we tried, the only way was to reinstall.....

When will linux be supported?

Guest IronKevin

So far I've only heard from 3 or 4 people that would purchase a Linux version. So, there doesn't quite seem to be a market for it yet.

IronKevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest tcooksey

I have had similar problems on XP with the toolbars disappearing, but I have had the same problem in Rhino.

I have also noticed parts jumping out of assemblies or into different ones.

I am not sure if it is an IC problem, XP problem, or IU problem ( idiot user ).

Sometimes I will pick a part or intellishape and the browser will suddenly expand or contract partially causing a different item to be selected, or the item will move like you dragged it to a different location. Again, I have not been able to determine where the fault lies.

In general, IC 4.2 seems to run very well. I have had very few crashes compared to WIN98. I have not installed IC 5 yet, but will wait for XP update.

quote:Originally posted by Rick Dorrington:

Forget Linux. Go OS X

id=quote>
id=quote>

Ok here we go.

There isn't a lot of difference between Linux and OS X

exept that Linux Is a lot more secure, free and runs

on any freaky peace of hardware.

Think about running IronCAD on linux embedded in

a milling machine, or on your watch for all i care.

I also think Making IronCAD available om multiple platforms

(MAC, LInux, Windows and Unix.) could be interresting.

untill then XP is the way to go I think.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been using NT4 with SP6 forever now - no problems whatsoever - so why change? IC5 runs great.

PS, we have a new iMac with OSX - veery pretty - but not much software available, and it has its bugs too. My biggest objection to WXP is that it is hideous - does Mr. Gates know no graphic designers? The whole looks like a cheap DOS game.

mulit-platform would be great - but maybe not profitable enough?