File Properties Tool

Marcus Bertilsson

Hi!

Anyone out there that know if there is some kind of tool available (for free) to extract "file properties" and maybe also change the attributes for a bunch of files.

I'm trying to automate the creation of a list of drawings. So it is important that it is possible to extract the information to Excel- or CSV-file or something that can be futher manipulated.

Any ideas?

/ Marcus

I found it!

Iron Find!

Good tool, exept that you can't push values back to the file properties for the file.

The tricky was to find it. In my instalation of IronCAD I didn't get any shortcut to it and it is well buried under "C:\Program Files\IronCAD\IRONCAD8\bin\ifind.exe"

/ Marcus

The IronFind is found in the open dialog (click on search) and in the Tools/Options by the way. I think the ability you are looking for should be a general microsoft customization to edit file properties outside of an application. I think PDM systems use something to edit those properties outside the app so there must be some code somewhere to allow it. Here is some example: http://peccatte.karefil.com/Software/Catal...atalogueENG.htm

Just do a search on google for File Property Batch Editing or Metadata Batch Editing.

Cary

I knew about the Iron Find under the open dialog under search. The tricky was that that one is slightly different from IronFind under Tools, The one in the open dialog don't have the "File / Export" alternativ. And that was what I was after.

And about pushing the properties to the file, maybe you are right that it works with overall apps. but I think it should be good to have here in IronFind directly so I dont need a bunch of extra apps.

/ Marcus

• 1 year later...
I knew about the Iron Find under the open dialog under search. The tricky was that that one is slightly different from IronFind under Tools, The one in the open dialog don't have the "File / Export" alternativ. And that was what I was after.

And about pushing the properties to the file, maybe you are right that it works with overall apps. but I think it should be good to have here in IronFind directly so I dont need a bunch of extra apps.

/ Marcus

11141[/snapback]

Try this!

Here

Tom,

Do you have a page with links to all the instruction films that you've made?

Or do you remove them after a while?

Thanks.

Edited by Jonas@Solidmakarna