IronCAD 2023 and explorer.exe

Dipo

Hi everyone,
I work in a company where we have been using Ironcad for 15 years, since Ironcad 2009.
A few days ago we switched to version 2023 (we were using 2019).
Clean install on two new PCs (Windows 11) and here's the problem:
when we use Ironcad, explorer.exe is freezing and crashing.
We tried updating the video card drivers, doing SFC /snannow, excluding Ironcad from the antivirus check, disabling many apps on startup but the problem persists.
I also tried to install it on another PC (demo version) and the problem is the same (Ironcad 2023 PU1 SP2).
We also use the Oikema Eng (Fronema) plugin, so we cannot upgrade to the 2024 version until our reseller releases the stable version.

It's really frustrating, so I'm asking for help.

Thank you.

Hi Dipo i support full IRONCAD + WOODLAB (oikema) i can help you :) Write direct. info@woodlab.com.pl or run us support link.
My steps if system is not good.

1. Install full patch visual C++or other usefull apliation:
http://ironcad.pl/pobieranie/aio210.zip
2. In CMD i use two commend: sfc/ scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
3. Best option is delete from device manager driver for graphic and system automatic reinstall good driver
4. Last option i check in control panel driver is select nvidia
5. Some time i use power managment and switch to ultra speed

@Dipo 

Best solution for now is to place the .bat file included here on your desktop and double click on it to restart the file explorer this will fixed the freeze but will close all open file explorer windows. I have this .bat file mapped to a button on my mouse so that I'm able to trigger it without the need to go to the .bat file.

restartexplorer.zip

1 hour ago, respighi said:

@Dipo 

Best solution for now is to place the .bat file included here on your desktop and double click on it to restart the file explorer this will fixed the freeze but will close all open file explorer windows. I have this .bat file mapped to a button on my mouse so that I'm able to trigger it without the need to go to the .bat file.

restartexplorer.zip 365 B · 0 downloads

Yes, I already do it. I restart explorer.exe 2 or 3 times a day, it's frustrating.
On 1 of the 3 PCs with IronCAD 2019 all this did not happen, as soon as 2023 was installed it happened.

I also notice explorer.exe incrementally increasing its RAM usage, until it is unusable.

Other ideas?

23 hours ago, Dipo said:

Yes, I already do it. I restart explorer.exe 2 or 3 times a day, it's frustrating.
On 1 of the 3 PCs with IronCAD 2019 all this did not happen, as soon as 2023 was installed it happened.

I also notice explorer.exe incrementally increasing its RAM usage, until it is unusable.

Other ideas?

Nope I've tried everything.

• Two PC's running Windows 10 on Intel + Quadro P2000 both have no issue with IronCAD
  • Two PC's running Windows 11 on AMD + Quadro A2000 both having the freeze issue.

I'm restarting the explorer 50+ times a day so count yourself lucky.

IronCAD 2024 still has the same issue so don't expect it to be solved anytime soon. Same as with all the other IronCAD bugs

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, respighi said:

Nope I've tried everything.

• Two PC's running Windows 10 on Intel + Quadro P2000 both have no issue with IronCAD
  • Two PC's running Windows 11 on AMD + Quadro A2000 both having the freeze issue.

I'm restarting the explorer 50+ times a day so count yourself lucky.

IronCAD 2024 still has the same issue so don't expect it to be solved anytime soon. Same as with all the other IronCAD bugs

Same thing here:

• 1 PC - Windows 11 on AMD Threadripper 2950x + Quadro P2000
  • 2 PC - Windows 11 on Inter 12750h + 4050 rtx (new PCs)
  • 1 PC - Windows 11 on Inter 13750h + 3060 rtx 
Edited by Dipo

I never met this issue In several systems Windows10&11 AMD(3600x,5800X3D)&Intel, Radeon(6900xt)&Nvidia(3080, 3080ti)....

Which language of Windows are you using? I met some problems come from the language of the Windows.

Or maybe this is an issue with Windows Explorer. I guess the system issues are difficult to track down.

I agree with Bertrand it is very hard to track it down.

At home, I use Windows 11 Home Edition 5950x + Radeon 6600 with Pro drivers and never encounter this issue. Goes the same with my back up Windows 11 5900x + Radeon 6600 with Pro drivers. IronCAD only crash if I go in and out of activity that leads to the PC going to sleep and have youtube open when it gets monotonous with project. Otherwise with only IC, File Explorer, Thunderbird open, it works flawlessly.

At work it is quite a different story: Windows 11 Pro 3900x + Nvidia Quadro P2000 with projects on One Drive. Working with a current project with revisions and suddenly asked to open for another project documentation either a IronCAD Model and drawing file or pdf triggers the same behaviour least unexpectedly if I haven't save the current project. This pc was its worst when it had a Ryzen 5 5700x +Nvidia Quadro P1000 with DDR4 3400 sticks.

Edited by jolizon590016

It is just baffling that bugs never get resolved. There are so many bugs that I encounter every single day, all of them could have been fixed years ago but are still present in the 2024 version of IronCAD.

Instead of adding features they better focus on fixing all the known bugs. 

The world is moving on and there is no way that I'm downgrading to Windows 10 because of IronCAD not being compatible with it. Windows 11 was released in 2021 so they've had plenty of time to get on track.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, respighi said:

It is just baffling that bugs never get resolved. There are so many bugs that I encounter every single day, all of them could have been fixed years ago but are still present in the 2024 version of IronCAD.

Instead of adding features they better focus on fixing all the known bugs. 

The world is moving on and there is no way that I'm downgrading to Windows 10 because of IronCAD not being compatible with it. Windows 11 was released in 2021 so they've had plenty of time to get on track.

Totally agree. We've been using Ironcad since 2009, and are always reluctant to upgrade to a new version. Before the 2023 we used the 2019 and it was much better.

Update:
the last 2 days I didn't use IronCAD but other software (a software for photorealistic rendering and another famous CAD): No problem, explorer.exe has no memory leak.
Yesterday I opened Ironcad and after only 20 minutes I had to restart explorer.exe. And so for the rest of the day.

I thought Ironcad wasn't the problem, but it clearly is.

There is a plan to continue updating the 2023 version, right? In addition to this problem there are other small bugs and I hope that it is not just the 2024 version that is updated.

Edited by Dipo

Here is another test that I hope will help solve the problem:
I worked for 3 hours with other software and with Ironcad open (but without using it). No problem, explorer.exe stable at 110 MB of memory.
I opened and saved 3 files with Ironcad: each time the memory of explorer.exe increased.
Analyzing the wait chain from the Task Manager I found the possible Thread that could cause this, I attach screenshot.

Does this make any sense to you, Ironcad team?

1.png

2.png

Even today, 3 hours without using Ironcad --> stable explorer.exe.
After 10 minutes of using Ironcad explorer.exe starts eating memory.
Same thing on 3 PCs (2 new) with IronCAD 2023 and Win11
@respighi also on IronCAD 2024..

After several tests I believe it is Ironcad that causes this issue.
I hope for a response from the Ironcad team, working with these lags and crashes is really hard.

@Dipo It's the same over here.

• 2 PC's running Windows 11, explorer.exe constantly freezing when using IronCAD, I'm not exaggerating when I say that I restart explorer.exe more than 50 times on a normal 8hr work day. 
  • 2 PC's running Windows 10 have no issues.

We do not know what the issue is.   We suspect it is related to vista file dialog.

Please put 2023PU1_SP2 HF dll to your computer.  TestISEngineAfx.dll it

1. Without the following registry value, do save and save as
  2. Add the following registry and set value =1, do save and save as.  It should show different style of save dialog.

IF your test has been completed, you can send the dll to them and ask them to set NotUseVistaUI in step 2 and see if it helps them.

Registry.png

RD is actively investigating the cause of the issue.  Since the issue is specific to some computers, we have not identified what the real cause is.    We suspect it may be related to the Save dialog UI.    Would you please try the following method and let us know if it helps:

1. Make sure your current installation have  IC2023PU1_SP2

2. Copy the attached dlls and paste to replace the ones in your IC2023 installation bin folder such as C:\Program Files\IronCAD\2023\bin

3.  Add the following registry and set value =1,  (NotUseVistaUI, set its value =1 ) (I attached a video showing how to edit the Registry)

4. Then start IronCAD to test and let us know you still have same issues of explorer when running IronCAD.ISEngineAfx.zip

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 7:53 AM, respighi said:

@Dipo @IronKevin

Let's keep the ball roling..

Inspected the same as @Dipo did.

After 5 minutes of use, a single file open and the explorer.exe stats eating memory.

@Dipo How can I inspect "Stack for thread 42112" ? 

2024-04-05 07_47_32-Task Manager.png

14 hours ago, IronKevin said:

RD is actively investigating the cause of the issue.  Since the issue is specific to some computers, we have not identified what the real cause is.    We suspect it may be related to the Save dialog UI.    Would you please try the following method and let us know if it helps:

1. Make sure your current installation have  IC2023PU1_SP2

2. Copy the attached dlls and paste to replace the ones in your IC2023 installation bin folder such as C:\Program Files\IronCAD\2023\bin

3.  Add the following registry and set value =1,  (NotUseVistaUI, set its value =1 ) (I attached a video showing how to edit the Registry)

4. Then start IronCAD to test and let us know you still have same issues of explorer when running IronCAD.ISEngineAfx.zip

Hi Kevin,

thanks for your reply.

I did as you wrote, restarted the PC and IronCAD doesn't open, here is the message:

"Unable to find procedure entry point ?GetPlusFunctionality@CCommonApp@@UEAAHXZ in dynamic link library C:\ProgramFiles\IronCAD\2023\bin\ISEngineAfx.dll."

IronCAD 2023 PU1 SP2

Screenshot 2024-04-06 144236.png

Edited by Dipo