Using arrays .

I have been creating some intelligent assemblies and I have run into an issue. To create my assembly it is easiest to use linear arrays and rotary arrays in the future. The issue I am having is that IC won't let me make arrays using other arrays. Can anyone explain why and is there a way to make it possible?

All help appreciated.

If you don't use 2024, try that to wrap the child pattern to the assembly.

Kim

Hello:

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I am using IC2021 and since I am basically retired I can't justify the cost of upgrading to 2024 so I can design things for my own pleasure. I will try Kim's idea and see if that will work.

I currently use an architectural CAD software to design buildings for both enjoyment and keeping my retired mind sharp. It is easy to use and they give me a free fully functional student license. As for IC, I have been using it since just before the dual kernel was released (which I got as a free upgrade). I have always said that IC is the easiest to use and I think still is. It is easy to design buildings in IC but all of the objects lack "smarts" where as software like Revit or Archicad create "smart" parts for their BIM designs. Unfortunately while their models are of the "smart" variety they aren't that smart and that results in a lot of extra work/costs if one was to decide to build the design. With the design of "smart" and adjustable assemblies in the catalog which become drag and drop, IC could be a good architectural option. One of the biggest problems with architectural software is the generation of the BOM. Software like
Revit, Archicad and others don't allow for a full description of a wall, it is  just a block with a few layers but there isn't any info regarding the layers. As an example, in the BIM software it might show the outside of a wall as bricks (nice for pictures) it can't tell you how many bricks are needed to cover the wall. With a smart assembly IC can provide the number of bricks as they are integral with the assembly. So when it comes time to create the BOM IC does it internally showing each and every component. That eliminates the need for an engineer to calculate the number of bricks (in this case) or steel reinforcing bars or such. This is the reason I have been looking into creating smart assemblies in IC. IC also has an advantage over the architectural software in that those other softwares aren't very good at creating complex objects. They typically have some rudimentary surface modelling capability or they need to work with another software package which is also surface modelling. The result is that the  user needs two separate apps and learn how to use each one. With smart assemblies the user only needs to learn one. So, my goal is to create smart assemblies that work like creating a helix. You drop the part and an "add-ons" window opens where the user can select the desired requirements, close the window and drop the assembly. The user can then stretch the assembly as needed. I have been wanting this capability for over 15 years but never had the time but now I do so I am on a learning quest regarding the use of parameters and all statements that can be used to create the assemblies.

Best regards.