Making parameters for features on bends

HDEAR

Hi all,

I have a bend, on top of which I have a location tab. The tab is made from 'Add stock'.

Because the bend profile itself cannot be edited with '2D sketch' the only way to position it is with a smart dimension, which is all well and good unless you want to drive the design of the part using parameters, which is what I want to do.

I have given the tab its H and W parameters, but I would like to have a parameter for positioning as well ( the 36mm in the pic ). What's the best method of applying that positioning dimension as a parameter? I have tried 'Assembly/Positioning Constraints but cannot select the target entity face ( edge of the bend or sheet ) even though I can select the source entity ( face of the sheet metal tab ).

Similarly, how would you make a parameter for positioning the matching slot ( on a bend on another part )?

image.thumb.png.ec8c8b957a7d6c31df537548adbea68b.png

Edited by HDEAR

Hi Harley,

You can use Smart Dimension in the Intelli shape level for positioning something. It is very useful Driving Sheet metal with Parameters.

Select "Add Stock" and make Smart Dimension in that level.

8 hours ago, HDEAR said:

Similarly, how would you make a parameter for positioning the matching slot ( on a bend on another part )?

For this Question, I think it is possible if they are in the same Assembly

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim

Kim is correct about placing the dimension at the feature level. It would be the same on the other part as well and then you can use the parameter table to build the relations/expressions.

Also, you can look at this tool - http://ironcad.it/learnICM/en/tools-catalog/0370_create_tabs_slots/. It can save some time in creating the tabs and slots.

Thanks Kim. I missed selecting the feature first and 'lock' also . 

Thanks Cary, I'll look at that but in complex scenes I have found ICMECH slows things down a bit. Also, the distance that the tab is set in from the start ( or end ) does not show up in the parameter list using ICMECH.

Edited by HDEAR