CAXA - Referencing the Last Point (when creating 2D geometry)

Malcolm Crowe

When creating 2D geometry, CAXA will remember the location of the "Last Point" that was placed. This "Last Point" can then be referenced using the "@" symbol, following by Cartesian or Polar Coordinates. The benefit of this is being able to start new geometry at a defined new location relative to the "Last Point", without needing to create any construction geometry.

If there is no previous "Last Point", you can create one by starting the Line command, placing the first point, but ending the command without placing the second point. No geometry is created, but CAXA will remember that "Last Point", which can then be referenced using @0,0 (if you want to start geometry at that exact location).

In practice, you're likely to start a new point in empty space relative to the "Last Point". For example, using @5,10 (5 units in the X direction, 10 units in the Y direction). This is demonstrated in the attached video, where 2D geometry (weld beads) are being added within Generated Views.

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi
Malcolm, thanks for another great video.
It looks like the CAXA you are using is linked to IronCAD in a separate window, is that correct?
I think it would be very convenient to be able to work on your drawings in a separate window from IronCAD with CAXA connected.

That is, when I'm working on a drawing, I often find that the dimensions are not modeled in 0.5 or 1 mm, so it's very convenient to go to the 3D scene, modify the model, and then go back and forth to the drawing.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me where to specify the "SECTION" note in SECTION A-A.

Thank you very much.

Hi tgjang,

All of the views within that CAXA drawing are Generated Views from a 3D model. Normally I would have the 3D model open in another tab while working in CAXA, but when I created that particular video, I didn't bother to open the 3D Scene. Regarding the Section View labels in the drawing, these are custom "Annotation Symbols" that we drag and drop into our drawings from our custom Part Library (as we do with all of our standard annotations). CAXA will generate its own Section Label and place it inside the Generated View, but we disable it as we prefer to use our own (which uses larger text for the View Description and the standard text for the Scale). See the attached video.

Malcolm

Malcolm. Thank you for your quick response to my question.
I think you are doing a great job using IronCAD and CAXA for a variety of structures, buildings, and machines.
I really appreciate the fact that you take the time to share useful tips that are not found on the internet or in the CAXA manuals. 
Thank you very much.  :D