Using Xbox controller and/or Oculus or similar to show drawings

ChopsMcgee

Hi all,

Our organisation is broken down into several departments.  Draftspeople use IronCad to generate 3D engineering drawings - essentially factory drawings show details of conveyors, piping, machines etc.

These are saved in .ICS format.

Our Sales Engineers get the free viewer / version of IronCad.  So, we can view but cannot edit.  However, without being a Draftsperson full time viewing is difficult.

In an ideal world I would like to be able to give a customer an Xbox controller and let them walk around our drawing, almost in first person view.

Or use a head set - Oculus or similar.

Has anyone done this?  Can anyone offer any advice.  Even if keyboard navigation is possible?

Thank you in advance

Hi

I tried both of them. So I can tell you about my experience.

1. I could not navigate the scene with Xbox controller.

2. I could navigate the scene with Meta(Oculus) quest pro controller very well. However, I couldn't click Triball's points with Quest pro controller via Bigscreen. Therefore, it is not suitable for editing the model at this time

For First person view, IronCAD does not support VR mode. Here are workarounds.

1. If you have later version of Solidworks Professional or Premium 2020, you can use eDrawings Professional's VR mode(It only supports .sldprt and .sldasm). That includes very useful "Explode" Tool.

2. You can use Blender with VR mode add-in (It's free)

3. You can use KeyVR (It's expensive per a month)

For the sales department, I'd recommend Space Mouse, which allows you to simply use the ICS file as is and move around the scene as easily by the joystick. (Unfortunately, it doesn't work perfectly yet)

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim