Iron cad file crashes in middle of cad designing process

Sam Nia

Hi ,

i am using  Iron cad for years but every now and then my files crash and I cannot even save my files.Is there any Auto save option to save the files automatically? I am thinking the reason for crashing the cad files is google drive that I  am using to save my files .any recomendation?

Capture.JPG

Hi Sam,

I've been experiencing crashes in various situations that I can't reproduce. I've also frequently experienced IronCAD shut off the moment I hit the save button. I'm using dropbox, but I don't think this is a dropbox or google drive issue.

The good news is that I'm very good at habitual saving, so it's not really an issue for me, other than causing some irritation. Saving is a must if you want to make missiles with limited resources.

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim

I have had the same issue recently and I am saving local (latest release of IC2022, about to switch to IC 2023). Hit save and boom, application just completely goes away with no save, but this also happens when I don't hit save sometimes. I also save constantly, but that's a habit I had to learn because of things like this. My advice, just save every five minutes or so with Ctrl+S. I lost about two hours of work yesterday because I got complacent, but it's a reminder that something can go wrong at anytime. 

-Spencer

When using drives like Google Drive, there is a sync process they run. If that sync is happening when saving, then you can run into issues potentially. (Not only with IC but with others as well). We have a registry setting that can save a backup when saving to a network drive (or a drive connected to something like google drive).

If saving files to network drive, the backup is controlled by SaveToNetWork_ForceBackupFile registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IronCAD\IRONCAD 20.0\InternalOptions

If SaveToNetWork_ForceBackupFile = 0, no backup;

If SaveToNetWork_ForceBackupFile = 1 (default), then we will do backup when save to network driver.  Before backup, we will search the backup folder if there is a corresponding previous backup file.  If there is a backup file there, delete the previous backup file first. Else then we will do a backup when save to the network drive. We will not delete previous backup file.

There is no UI to change SaveToNetWork_ForceBackupFile, users have to manually open registry (regedit) and change it.

Note:  When save to local, then no backup will happen.

Sometimes we cannot identify whether a file is saved to network drive, for example, Google Drive and there is a map drive like g: to Google Drive. We cannot identify the file is saved to network drive.   So we provide a backdoor to let users explicitly specify g: is network drive by adding/changing the string value of SaveToNetWork_Drivers in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IronCAD\IRONCAD 20.0\InternalOptions, such as

image.png

In this case, if files are saved to g: drive, we will consider saving to network drive.

Files are backup to %temp%\ic_dbg_BackupOnSaveToNetWork folder such as

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\ic_dbg_BackupOnSaveToNetWork

In this folder, we map the backup file in the path structure similar to original folder structure:

For  instance, we save to g:\abc\file1.ics, the back file will be

%temp%\ic_dbg_BackupOnSaveToNetWork\REG_g_\ abc\file1.ics

(replace g: by g_, add REG_ to represent regular letter drive)

If we save to UNC path such as \\networkname\abc\file1__2018-06-12-15-16-54.ics. the back file will be

%temp%\ic_dbg_BackupOnSaveToNetWork\UNC_\networkname\abc\file1__2018-06-12-15-16-54.ics

(add UNC_ to represent UNC path) __2018-06-12-15-16-54.ics: date and time was added as well.

So this may be an option to try to when you have the failed to save issue. This of course will not work on the crash of the application, but this is for the issues potentially saving to a network or google type drive as a network folder. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cary OConnor said:

When using drives like Google Drive, there is a sync process they run. If that sync is happening when saving, then you can run into issues potentially. (Not only with IC but with others as well). We have a registry setting that can save a backup when saving to a network drive (or a drive connected to something like google drive).

If saving files to network drive, the backup is controlled by SaveToNetWork_ForceBackupFile registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IronCAD\IRONCAD 20.0\InternalOptions

If SaveToNetWork_ForceBackupFile = 0, no backup;

If SaveToNetWork_ForceBackupFile = 1 (default), then we will do backup when save to network driver.  Before backup, we will search the backup folder if there is a corresponding previous backup file.  If there is a backup file there, delete the previous backup file first. Else then we will do a backup when save to the network drive. We will not delete previous backup file.

There is no UI to change SaveToNetWork_ForceBackupFile, users have to manually open registry (regedit) and change it.

Note:  When save to local, then no backup will happen.

Sometimes we cannot identify whether a file is saved to network drive, for example, Google Drive and there is a map drive like g: to Google Drive. We cannot identify the file is saved to network drive.   So we provide a backdoor to let users explicitly specify g: is network drive by adding/changing the string value of SaveToNetWork_Drivers in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IronCAD\IRONCAD 20.0\InternalOptions, such as

image.png

In this case, if files are saved to g: drive, we will consider saving to network drive.

Files are backup to %temp%\ic_dbg_BackupOnSaveToNetWork folder such as

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\ic_dbg_BackupOnSaveToNetWork

In this folder, we map the backup file in the path structure similar to original folder structure:

For  instance, we save to g:\abc\file1.ics, the back file will be

%temp%\ic_dbg_BackupOnSaveToNetWork\REG_g_\ abc\file1.ics

(replace g: by g_, add REG_ to represent regular letter drive)

If we save to UNC path such as \\networkname\abc\file1__2018-06-12-15-16-54.ics. the back file will be

%temp%\ic_dbg_BackupOnSaveToNetWork\UNC_\networkname\abc\file1__2018-06-12-15-16-54.ics

(add UNC_ to represent UNC path) __2018-06-12-15-16-54.ics: date and time was added as well.

So this may be an option to try to when you have the failed to save issue. This of course will not work on the crash of the application, but this is for the issues potentially saving to a network or google type drive as a network folder. 

Hi Cary,

Thanks for this. I'll keep this in mind. On my previous post I had problems similar but on OneDrive.

Initially, I was able to fix it by creating a new user profile but degenerated over  time. I finally had my PC re-installed with the OS and no longer suffered my issues back then at my place of work. The symptoms I had: long file name ok for the first time and when editing the work it won't save network directory, backup directory only shows copy file address without having the .ics and .icd file on it. Even paint app disappears for doing screenshot.