One more sheet metal question.

tgjang

Hi TJ and Willem,

Is this how you want it to create?

image.thumb.png.47c76a846390f13e952f0835dea3e78a.png

Use only Bend from the Sheet Metal Catalog as it will never work with any other as I have experienced. Open up Setback value as this a tight geometry. Others may have better knowledge than I would.

image.thumb.png.0cfd64e6ae461ddd6c3396e9e3c1d30c.png

image.thumb.png.4ef849a05a1187ee3ee8cd3a690948ed.png

regards. joseph

Sheet Metal Part51.ics

Edited by jolizon590016

Thank you very much. Josep.

But,  I cannot get the box to the dimensions I want using the smooth bend alignment option.

I would like to design an exact box using the outbend option.

Edited by tgjang

Hi TJ,

What I do is just change my thinking on the stock. With Out Bend, the stock is 400x300, with the Bend there is a difference of 12.5mm (6.25mm offset/per bend - varies on stock thickness used) so I set the stock to 387.5x287.5. I know this quite tedious and annoying, but if you common stocks used, I made notes on this offset per stock thickness. Though it is wishful to have mitre done with all sort of bend features, it made me think and plan ahead. Sort of manual to semi automated thinking.

regards joseph

Edited by jolizon590016
typo

Hi. Joseph.

Thank you for spending so much of your precious time.
There is no big problem if the externally large dimension is reduced as much as it is increased.
However, in the case of modeling in the red circle, it is inconvenient for the user to do the work by reducing the increased amount after calculating it when modeling.

Thank you very much. Joseph. ^^

sheet_metal_4.png

Hi tgjang.

There are several other users as well as myself who avoid out-bend and in-bend and just use smooth bends because of the problems you are coming across.

The downside is when you increase material thickness and/or minimum inside bend radius, then your model changes its overall dimensions. The upside is that it keeps your maths skills up.

Harley

• Haha 1

Hi Jang,

For the same reasons as Harley(sheet metal size box on bend gets weird when changing material thickness with Out Bend, etc..), I'm only using Bend. After months of doing it, I'm able to do decimal addition and subtraction.

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim