STP file saved to IC

jolizon590016

Hi,

I hope someone shares their thoughts on this stp file when saved to IC is 31K in sized. I have combined the shapes, did a shrinkwrap that removes the face frame. Saving to IC Compose model did reduce the sized but does not feature the specified mass to compute total assembly when used with.

Regards to all

ZIEHL-ABEGG_L-AL-GR01324_Index_000_GR45C-ZID_GG_CR_2019-05-28.zip

I think the question is that we can't calculate the actual mass of the attachment file(That made with a shrinkwrap)

Kim

The step file is 31MB at the start which is mainly the BREP data and then some structural information in that file. When imported into IC, we have to use the brep and build the structure (features). Typically the ICS will be a bit larger than the import file as we have to build that information for the features. 

Now if you don't care about the part/assembly structured, you can use the combine reference to reduce the size. Using the settings below will reduce it to about 21mb. 

image.png

Now if you don't need the Brep. You can import and then drag the assembly into a catalog. Under Tools/Options/Parts, turn on the setting to drop as a facet. Then drop that assembly into a new file and save. This will reduce it to about 12mb. (attached is an example).

ZIEHL-ABEGG_L-AL-GR01324_Index_000_GR45C-ZID_GG_CR_2019-05-28-Facet.ics

Hi Cary and Bertrand,

Thanks for this. I wanted to reduce the file size. Initially my supervisor at work wants it shrink wrap but turns out removing the face plate or the fan hole even all is selected.  I used combined shapes but still experience a large files size on my end.  The results vary at the office machine, compared to my home pc. I usually set assembly with a Specified Mass and Treat as part or the actual A/C assembly.

Hi Cary,

I tried that ( your Tools/options/Parts -->Drop as facet off a catalogue on a Ziehl-Abegg fan ).
image.thumb.png.ac28dca4ecfec01c4d1177ec9234ff9b.png

The original STP file was 14.7 MB

The ICS saved result ended up in a file 23.4Mb!! ( see result 3 below )

If I imported with Import as structured part ticked on import options and just saved as is, result was number 1 below

If I imported with Import as structured part UN ticked on import options and just saved as is, result was number 2 below

image.png.eb2c8ac7153d25ed7ee6ecac5c8c1088.png

So importing as structured part, then saving in ICS ended up about the same size as the original. Importing with structured part unticked, then saving in ICS reduced by 38%

Harley

Edited by HDEAR

Hi Joseph,

I have sent you an email. We use EBM and ZA fans a lot. I have dummied down a lot of their models into ICS, and sent you an example of the fan I used in the exercise above - it comes out at 1.5MB. 

For one off projects though, use their STP and save it to ICS as I mentioned and it reduces between 30% to 50%.

Harley

Hi Joseph

If you can afford to spend about 3/4 hr, you can get the STP file into an ICS in a simplified but accurate form.

I used combination of extract surface, sheetmetal features, and for the rotational parts I sectioned the STP in half and traced the necessary profiles and used spin. 

The model is now down to 2.2MB. Extraneous details like cooling fins are left out

ZIEHL-ABEGG-L-AL-GR01324.ics

Edited by HDEAR