User Interface - Positioning of the Instance Menu (CAXA)

Malcolm Crowe

CAXA DRAFT provides users with a lot of control regarding the User Interface, so that it can be customized according to user preferences. One of the components of the User Interface is what CAXA refers to as the "Instance Menu" (command options). This is activated whenever a command (or tool) is started and will display the various options that are applicable to that command (or tool). Attached is a video demonstrating how to position this "Instance Menu" wherever you want, whether that be floating on the screen or docked within the Status Bar at the bottom left.

Note that for some commands (or tools) the options displayed in this "Instance Menu" might change during the command (following selections on the screen). So, keeping a watchful eye on these options within the "Instance Menu" is something to be mindful of.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Like 1

Thanks Malcom,

Do you know if there is an easy way to access the menu options without having to use the mouse..

The big one for me that always bugs me is when offsetting. The offset value or distance is buried in the instance menu and every time i offset i need to go down and enter into the menu...

coming from autocad, situations like that, the default keyboard entry is the offset value which makes the command so much easier to use.

Hi Peter,

Not that I'm aware of. In the case of the current Offset Line tool, there are a couple of main options, which are very fast depending on what you're doing (see the attached video). While I don't use the Offset Line tool that often, I do often use the Parallel Tool (which behaves a little differently). If the Offset Line tool could behave in a similar way to the Parallel Line tool when using the Across or Through Point option, then I think that would be helpful.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm,

I will try the parallel lines command..It may be easier because you can just enter a length after invoking the command..

The offset command works fine it just bugs me that i have to always go to the instance menu with the mouse to enter the offset value..I like that the parallel lines command prompts for a keyboard entry for the offset value. 

It never ceases to amaze me at how some seemingly insignificant things can annoy me so much..i must be turning into a cranky old guy:huh:

• Malcolm Crowe changed the title to User Interface - Positioning of the Instance Menu (CAXA)