Updating External Links

tlehnhaeuser

Hello All,

I have a mental block as usual. How do I get my external file to update to the main file?

The issue is in the main file, I updated it in a different configuration and it looks like the x-link only references the default config.

Any help is appreciated.

Tx

T

ec1.png

ec2.png

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure I fully understand but here it goes...When you insert an external file into the main file, it will insert with the Default configuration of the external file. You can right-click on the node in the scene browser to change the configuration. For example in the main file, you right-click on the external link node in the scene browser and change the configuration to the Concept 4. Changes you make to the model will update that external file in that configuration state for example. Now keep in mind, there are settings in configurations that local configurations override external links. Meaning settings like suppression and position could be set in the mian that will not apply to the external link files when opening them. Feature modifications will apply regardless as we don't have configurations for model type changes (to a degree - meaning DV configurations will in some cases achieve the results).

Sorry if it is confusing as it is a complex subject. Happy to look at your file as well if needed. 

Thanks Cary that makes sense however in my case its reversed. I made changes to file in MAIN file in a new configuration hence I cannot update the configuration on the external link file becuase the "node" change option on not availbale on the x-link file. Hope you get this

On 8/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, tlehnhaeuser said:

Thanks Cary that makes sense however in my case its reversed. I made changes to file in MAIN file in a new configuration hence I cannot update the configuration on the external link file because the "node" change option on not available on the x-link file. Hope you get this

Yeah there is currently not a way to modify the configuration of the external file in the context of the main file.