[Solved][ICD] Can I reattach the dimensions or copying the dimensions?

Bertrand Kim

Hi!

This question has been bothering me for months!

If I have two similar parts with different lengths, and Assuming I have already entered the dimension for one, can I copy it or use it?

I hope there is some command like Dimdisassociate in Autocad!

I can move the dimensions Shift+Drag but it is not working well!

I guess it is possible in CAXA, but I don't want to use CAXA for now!

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim

There are not easy tools to do what you are after in ICD. If the model was similar and in a similar location, the reattach command could possibly reconnect to points that are below the dimensions. You can reattach dimension one by one but it is just not that efficient for something like in your example. We would need to file an ER to make it more useful and powerful. 

The other option is to potentially try the Autodimension tool. This can be done manually and through the bulk view creation. It may work ok in your example. 

Thanks all! :(

Yey I think it's going to be hard to achieve, but I highly recommend adding this function in ICD!

How about this way?

1.1. Adding repositioning every dimensions tool!

1.2. Calculating the center line's - or + position when I click ( I think it is possible but I guess ICD doesn't know what I clicked [0:40] at First video and [1:03] at Second video )!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

2. Well,,,I tried some parts with Autodimension tool b4, but it is hard to achieve what I expected!

2.1) Above part(Attached in video) is a simple part for explain this article!

When the part becomes complicated, several dimensions require continuous dimensions! Hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet!

2.2) Autodimension tool creates dimensions for every edges that I wasn't expected (Chamfer and Blencd)!

This is why I don't use Autodimension in ICD. It's faster and more intuitive and more efficient to create new dimensions than to erase them!

I think it need a little more thing! Autodimension is very useful tool!

Kim

Excuse me! but who's using Autodimension?

I'm really curious about it!

Kim

Yes the Auto Dimension tool does pick up the fillets. We are looking for additional improvements to be added to the tool to make it more useful. Options that I can see would be:

- Include/Exclude Fillet/Chamfer edges

- Include Hidden Visible Edge (Meaning if the hidden edge display is on then include them in the dimensions).

- Dimension options to centerline (not the edges of holes).

- Update on View Update. 

Those seem to be the most common ER's. Any others that you all may see as important?

1. Is it possible exclude Tap holes at Auto Dimension?

- If it is not possible, I want option that Excluding every circle!

2. Increase speed during UNDO command!

- Only Undo command has high cpu load!

3. If I select Dimension type, do not erase the origin that I have already selected!

- This behavior made me very confused some months ago!

4. Placing Origin point option to a dialog that users easily understand about this tool!

- It was difficult to understand how to use this tool!

Kim

ps) Well... this tool is what I was looking for!

The points are all good ones to add to the tool.

In the SW video, not sure why the difference. The replace is a replace and the id's are different. It would be interesting to see how good that can work on more complex cases or in cases where the changes are more drastic.

If you are using a model say A. and then you creata a model B that is using a and are changing parameters, the ID's are the same (unless drastic changes). In those cases, the dimension can hook up. If they are complete different models with different ID's, it seems it would be like our reconnect tool that we can connect to similar or in a range. Keep in mind the dimensions remember if they are point to point or edge to point, etc. So the reconnection is looking for those types of references as well. If those change, it will most likely not work. 

Wait.... What is Ctrl-Shift-L????

OMG it is working!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much the problem sovled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim

• Like 1

• Bertrand Kim changed the title to [Solved][ICD] Can I reattach the dimensions or copying the dimensions?

I wasn't looking for a method that reattachment of every dimensions correctly!

I can reattach manually like traditional cad if ICD didn't change Dimensions' base point(Well,,, I guess this behavior came from scale is changed)!

It was hard to rearrange Dimensions in ICD!

But I don't care anymore!!!!!!!!

Kim