STEP file; how to switch back to this mode?

jake5564

Hello All,

I opened a STEP file in IronCAD 2020 earlier today through the welcome screen ("first case"). Later, I tried to do the same thing, but I did not see a welcome screen (I guess it appears once per day?), and I opened the file through the File -> Open dialog ("second case"). However, the STEP file import or the viewing mode was completely different. 

Sorry that I perhaps cannot describe well how the results were different, as I am quite new to IronCAD.

Here is my attempt to describe the differences:
* In the first case, when right-clicking a part listed in the tree on the left, a "Visualize" or equivalent option was shown, with the default being on. In the second case, there is no such option. Rather, the options that appear when right-clicking a part in the Scene1 tree are like "Hide selected", "Show selected", etc.
* In the first case, the parts were listed as e.g. "Solid49", "Solid50", and so on. In the second case, the parts appear in the Scene1 tree on the left as (Part name 49) -> "Brep1", (Part name 50) -> "Brep1", and so on, where (Part name 49) is some actual, more or less reasonable part name.
* In the first and second cases, the user interface was somewhat different, including the 3D navigation and the parts measurement functionality.

I would like to get back to the "first case" out of the two viewing modes or STEP file import results. Could I perhaps get some advice on how to do that?

Thanks,
Jake

I would recommend you to always start IRONCAD first -> then create a new 3D Scene -> then run the Import Geometry function.

bild.png.8657f4c525b65a1104a95130950eb3d2.png

When you double click on a file in Windows, it will be opened by the program that Windows thinks is the "most suited" and it might not be IRONCAD! An ICS file is also an MS Calender file... and the IronCAD Design Collaboration Program Suite consists of 4 programs, of which one is the free "3D Viewer" IRONCAD COMPOSE (which is probably one of the two cases that you describe), which has limited functionality when it comes to manage the models and making measures.

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but I would agree with Jonas as far as always importing into an already open scene. I have never had any issues doing it that way.