attachmentpoint reverse parameter

TBoom

is there a way to make the parameters on an attachment point work in the opposite direction?

example, i have a standard sized box with an attachment point and when i put an item in the box, i want it to attach to the box and the box to resize to the item.

normally it's the other way round, but this seems usefull as well.

I don't think there is a way with the current logic for the Attachment Point behaviors. However if you have development skills, you possibly could customize the code to perform an action like this. The Smart Assembly code is in our API so that it can be altered for individual business needs.

Cary

Hi,

A possible work-around is to drop the second part into empty space (instead of onto the first part), and then use the "Attachment Point Connect" tool to connect the first part to the second part. Basically reversing the order in which the parts are connected. This is demonstrated in the attached video. Perhaps this could be applicable to what you want to achieve,

Malcolm

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cary OConnor said:

I don't think there is a way with the current logic for the Attachment Point behaviors. However if you have development skills, you possibly could customize the code to perform an action like this. The Smart Assembly code is in our API so that it can be altered for individual business needs.

Cary

with zero development skills i have no idea how to even start working on this, but i'll keep it in mind!

@Malcolm Crowe I see where you are going with this, but wouldn't that be the same as dropping the second part first...? kinda defeats the purpose i think. i,d like the 'box' to stay in a specific place.

Another simple example i just encountered where this feature would be of use to me is the following:
I have a kitchen cabinet that has legs with clamps for the baseboard, both left and right. when i drop in a new cabinet, for example on the right side, i want the right clamp from the first cabinet to be suppressed. because i don't need two clamps so close to each other.

i know manually suppressing or deleting these clamps isn't that much work, so it's not that important, but i was just curious. maybe other users could have better use for a feature like this.

Another option for you to consider is the use of "Layout Sketches" for positioning and sizing assemblies. One of the advantages of using "Structured Parts" have thee "Layout Sketches" is that it allows you to apply Attachment Points to geometry in the sketch. These Attachment Points can transmit sizing information from the Layout Sketches to the part. Design Variations can be created for the Layout Sketches, and you can also include solid and surface bodies as well for selection and visualization purposes. When you're done dropping parts onto the Layout Sketches (and the desired Design Variation is selected) you can then suppress the Layout Sketches.

The links below are to previous posts demonstrating a couple of examples of how you can use Attachment Points with Layout Sketches to drive assemblies.

Malcolm

Regarding suppressing of Parts or Shapes (features) you might want to consider "Suppression Parameters". These are really helpful as they can be driven by Design Variations or Expressions within the Parameter Table. The link below is to a previous post demonstrating a couple of examples, with the second video regarding suppressing draft angle includes audio.

Another option is also to create a Pattern for the clamps, where the Pattern Number and Distance is driven by the Layout Sketch. Similar to what is demonstrated in one of the links in the post immediately above.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe