Mass? I'm not sure that's correct

SSIMMONS

Good Morning Everyone,

this may be one of those questions I am just overthinking, but shouldn't the field in properties that is labeled "Calculated Mass" say "Calculated Weight". It seems to me that this field is determining the WEIGHT based on the volume and density it calculated. Then it uses the general gravity on earth to determine the weight of the object. I have never really thought about it until I recently answered another question on here and now I am realizing it says "Calculated Mass". Am I confused here?

-Spencer

I determined why It is so confusing. It amounts to me hating the English system or measurements. I am looking forward to hearing some of the responses though!

Edited by SSIMMONS

18 minutes ago, Cary OConnor said:

I'm pretty sure we are calculating the mass based on Mass = volume × density. Weight is the measure of the gravitational force acting on a mass. Are you seeing a different result?

Cary, you are correct. I was confused because the "mass" is equal to the "weight" (more or less) here on earth. 1Lbm = 1Lbf on Earth. So in this case it is irrelevant. It is due to us using slugs in the English system as the base unit for mass. It is an oversimplification used in school that never occurred to me somehow. W=m x g= 1 lbm x (32.174 ft/s^2) = 32.174 (lbm ft)/s^2=1 Lbf which creates a 1:1 relationship between the two. The education system failed me on that one haha

-Spencer

• Haha 1