Drawing pipework

Guest BMC

Hi 

I'm drawing pipework with a machine but don't have the mechanical package. So far I've been able to get away with cylinders and partial torus for pipes and 90 degree bends but am coming unstuck when needing 45s or more complex shapes. 

Are there other options you could recommend in other to produce pipework thats not just your regular straight or 90 bend. 

Hi

I still haven't gotten my head around a sweep. I watched the tutorials but am getting lost when plotting the points I wish to follow, especially in a 3d space. 

Although fairly rudimentary, sometimes the method that works the best for me is to drop Intellishapes (blocks/cylinders) and use those to then place reference nodes in the 3D Curve.  Sweeping a cylindrical profile is usually pretty straightforward once you can plot out the path.  Other profiles tend to give me a bit more trouble as far as corners that are too tight to get the sweep to complete successfully.  I've attached a quick and dirty video showing how you can generate a fairly smooth splined path.  You could just as easily use the line tool and fillets to get the proper radii for pipework in the 3D Curve.

I've attached the scene I made also.  I added an additional sweep in which I replaced the spline curve with a filleted (6" radius) linear path between the reference nodes.

Hope this helps.

SWEEP EXAMPLE.ics