How to pull out my sketch from an extrude?

Afwe Rew

I've gone through the 1 day beginner tutorial course and have been making some of my own parts as I am testing this app. But I'd like to know how to make a copy of a sketch or pull out a sketch that was consumed by an extrude feature. If I delete the extrude, the sketch also deletes. And there doesn't seem to be any way for me to copy the sketch or otherwise separate it from that extrude. How to I recover my sketch? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

screenshot.428.jpg

Edited by Afwe Rew

I had read that somewhere but didn't understand it for some reason. But I understood your reply quite clearly. Thank you so much for your quick and descriptive response! I was able to get it copied into the new sketch. Again, appreciated :)

Edited by Afwe Rew
explanation

If you have the add-on IronCAD Mechanical installed, there's an easy to use tool there to extract the sketch from any sketch based IntelliShape, like an Extrude, Spin, Sweep or Loft (which has multiple sketches).

Expand the part and the feature and select the sketch (Cross-Section).

bild.png.5317150d009c0b9af3cea249f2709cc6.png

Then drop the tool Copy Profile to New Part, from the ICM Utils catalog into the scene.

bild.png.8c2928d8b58734095ecce9243950bfe7.png

You will now have another part (2D-Profile) at the end of the tree structure with your sketch!

bild.png.bb1f1029ca52a4ee3669fc56eea1e737.png

Edited by Jonas@Solidmakarna
images
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1