IronCAD Multiphysics - CFD / Fluid analysis

TomJ

Hi Forum members.

I would like to hear from the forum's multiphysics users and their experience with the CFD/Fluid add-in.  I am considering to get this add-in for optimizing equipment geometry regarding flow, turbulence, pressure drops etc. I hope it is OK  to raise some questions in the forum. I find the BASIC MP very nice to use, and I will have a test license for the MPIC fluid - but would like to learn some more from current users before making the desicion so I hope you will share some experience.

• Have you tested two or three-phase flows ?
  • HAve you any other comparable experience with ANSYS, COMSOL, or other CFD software - and if so how do you see MPIC CFD in comparison with userinterface complexity for setting up models for analysis etc  ?
  • Are there any bugs, or limitations that should be communicated regarding MPIC Fluid ?

• 3 months later...

IronCAD has updated its integrated analysis solution, MPIC (Multi-Physics for IronCAD), which provides advanced FEA (finite element analysis) focusing on ease of use for fully coupled Multiphysics stress, thermal, electrostatic and fluid analysis. fluids has been enabled and is fully coupled with stress, thermal and electrical physics for true multiphysics capabilities. The new CFD (computational fluid dynamics) module is based on the newest advanced Optimal Least-Square formulation with a velocity-vorticity-pressure equal order/convergence formulation.

MPIC is included with full product capabilities, including fluids with the standard IronCAD solution for 30 days then extends as a node-limited version allowing users to experiment with validation of designs. Even though the extended version is node-limited, MPIC's technology using Sefea (strain-enriched finite element analysis) gives users extended capabilities to test products at a lower mesh level. Sefea is the newest enriched finite element formulation developed specifically for low-order 4-node tetrahedron elements commonly used in CAD simulation.

Superb ! :D

When will an video or presentation with practical/realistic samples. I am very interested in this feature - I tried the fluid (CFD) option - but unfortunately I found the version I tested a little to "undocumented" and not as simple as I have been told....  I have used SolidWorks Simulation CFD both the xpress and the advanced versions earlier. Now these were quite intuitive, and had good documentation with step-by-step instructions with samples, and screenshots.

I really look forward to see this in the MPIC CFD environement too. As soon as I can see some news regarding this I would be very much interested in a trial version to test with some of my designs - with purpose of acquiring a license :-)

On 10/2/2021 at 4:34 AM, TomJ said:

Superb ! :D

When will an video or presentation with practical/realistic samples. I am very interested in this feature - I tried the fluid (CFD) option - but unfortunately I found the version I tested a little to "undocumented" and not as simple as I have been told....  I have used SolidWorks Simulation CFD both the xpress and the advanced versions earlier. Now these were quite intuitive, and had good documentation with step-by-step instructions with samples, and screenshots.

I really look forward to see this in the MPIC CFD environement too. As soon as I can see some news regarding this I would be very much interested in a trial version to test with some of my designs - with purpose of acquiring a license :-)

Hey there Tom,

I have not used the Fluid CFD (only Ansys fluent), but I have used the standard Static and Dynamic packages fairly extensively. I like them just fine and they have seem to have come a long way in recent years. The answer above seems fairly formal (like an advertisement) and it seems to be the only post for that individual, but despite that it is definitely worth a try. I will say that as far as documentation, there is practically none that I have found. I found a manual once (don't remember where it went), but it was so outdated I just forgot about it. If you are looking for step by step examples, I would not count on it. On the other hand, if you find some please let me know. Hope this helps!

-Spencer

21 minutes ago, SSIMMONS said:

Hey there Tom,

I have not used the Fluid CFD (only Ansys fluent), but I have used the standard Static and Dynamic packages fairly extensively. I like them just fine and they have seem to have come a long way in recent years. The answer above seems fairly formal (like an advertisement) and it seems to be the only post for that individual, but despite that it is definitely worth a try. I will say that as far as documentation, there is practically none that I have found. I found a manual once (don't remember where it went), but it was so outdated I just forgot about it. If you are looking for step by step examples, I would not count on it. On the other hand, if you find some please let me know. Hope this helps!

-Spencer

Hi Spencer

I suspected that the post were of an "advertisement" kind, But I am living in the hope of something regarding CFD that may be of value. I like the FEA package in IC, actually better than the Simulation package in SolidWorks that I used for many years, I am mainly a designer, but I like to test my designs now and then to see how the flow are, and to check for turbulence etc.

I have been in contact with MPIC support a couple of times, and regarding CFD, but I was not very successful regarding the support, and the documentation. But I am hoping for something :-)

Hi Tom,

The documentation for MPIC is found when running the FEA, select F1. That will bring up a dedicated Help for MPIC. Also I attached a reference document as well below. 

For examples, we have a few as noted in this attached document. If you need one of the examples in particular, please let me know and I can upload the details. 

IronCAD_MultiPhysics_Reference.pdf ExampleModels.pdf

18 hours ago, Cary OConnor said:

Hi Tom,

The documentation for MPIC is found when running the FEA, select F1. That will bring up a dedicated Help for MPIC. Also I attached a reference document as well below. 

For examples, we have a few as noted in this attached document. If you need one of the examples in particular, please let me know and I can upload the details. 

IronCAD_MultiPhysics_Reference.pdf 2.92 MB · 5 downloads ExampleModels.pdf 847.01 kB · 3 downloads

thanks a lot Cary :-) 

That was a good manual - for the MPIC itselv, but for Fluid-Flow (CFD) analysis I did not see any spesific information other than I got when I tried the Fluid package earlier ( I got a trial license, but it was just 2 days before my vacation so I wasn't able to be very familiar with it.

I have seen the example models before - I think I got it while discussing with sales about the CFD earlier this year :-)

I would love to see a demo of the CFD capabilites , I have lots of questions for this topic :-)

Attached is a basic fluid and conjugated heat transfer CFD demo/example. 

The demo may seem to be simple in setup, but it actually involves fairly complex internal default processing (e.g. stacking two solids with fluid physics means there is a flow path in between the common face). Stacking a solid again a fluid solid region means the solid and fluid is interacting in FSI (fluid-structure-interaction). Conjugate heat transfer allows you to predict the convective heat transfer via flow. These are features that are only available in high end/advanced CFD packages.  

You should review the model setup and understand each setting by pressing F1 in each dialog.  The reference manual/document is the most complete product documentation, but there is really no reason to read them unless you need to understand the associated parameters in model setup. 

You can read this basic Sefea reference whitepaper as it covers the general technology including the LSFEA for fluid. for an additional reference -http://www.ampstech.com/download/Sefea_Technology_Whitepaper_TM.pdf

Let me know if this helps.

Cary

flowbox.zip

• 1 month later...
Guest AMPS/MPIC

We apologize for any delay in answering any website/social media posting as we are too busy in technology R&D and the support group can only answer questions directly  sent to mpic@ampstech.com. Please contact IronCAD tech support and CC us if you have further question.

The latest IronCAD MPIC 2022 release contains several new features and enhancements. For CFD, we have enhanced the in/out flow BC by solving an initial Poisson's equation for better/realistic in/out developed flow profile for faster convergence and accuracy.  The theory of the in/out flow BC setting to simulate the infinite far field extending into infinity can be found by hitting F1 help key while in the dialog, or in this paper "A robust and accurate outflow boundary condition for incompressible flow simulations on severely-truncated unbounded domains," S. Dong, G.E. Karniadakis, C. Chryssostomidis, Journal of Computational Physics, pp. 83-105, 261, 2014". 

There are many enhancements in MPIC version 2022 as it contains the most new features/updates such as multithread/parallel meshing, a magnitude faster in model loading, new piezo-electrical-stress material model, etc. Please check with IronCAD for update.

• 2 years later...
On 10/7/2021 at 7:36 AM, Cary OConnor said:

Attached is a basic fluid and conjugated heat transfer CFD demo/example. 

The demo may seem to be simple in setup, but it actually involves fairly complex internal default processing (e.g. stacking two solids with fluid physics means there is a flow path in between the common face). Stacking a solid again a fluid solid region means the solid and fluid is interacting in FSI (fluid-structure-interaction). Conjugate heat transfer allows you to predict the convective heat transfer via flow. These are features that are only available in high end/advanced CFD packages.  

You should review the model setup and understand each setting by pressing F1 in each dialog.  The reference manual/document is the most complete product documentation, but there is really no reason to read them unless you need to understand the associated parameters in model setup. 

You can read this basic Sefea reference whitepaper as it covers the general technology including the LSFEA for fluid. for an additional reference -http://www.ampstech.com/download/Sefea_Technology_Whitepaper_TM.pdf

Let me know if this helps.

Cary

flowbox.zip 5.63 MB · 65 downloads

I don't have the Time/Step Animation Control, only Displacement Animation. What did I miss?

image.thumb.png.4682a5484b3c615051ac7962260701ef.png

• 4 weeks later...