Penetrations Through Inclined Sheet Metal

Here is a question for IRONCAD users with more sheet metal expertise than me.

How do other users cut penetrations through "Inclined Sheet Metal", so that the cuts are perpendicular to the sheet metal (rather than inclined)?

Attached is video of my process (work-around), but I'm hoping there is a simpler method.

Malcolm

Malcolm,

If it is thin sheet metal, you can unfold the part and the results will be very close to what you need.  It does not work on thicker plate though.  You get one side that is correct and the other side is not.  On thicker plate, maybe what I attached is an option.  It is a few steps still but I think quicker than the steps you showed.  Let me know what you think.

Hi Malcolm,

EDIT!  Oops - didn't see R Saucier's post above - sorry about that. Pretty much the same method, except for getting the cylinder down to the sheet metal surfaces top and bottom, which maybe you don't need to do anyhow.

Here's how I do it - sorry my Active presenter doesn't work at the moment for some reason

1) Reduce the height of  the cylinder top and bottom so it is sitting on the top and bottom surfaces respectively. If you need to keep the original, make a copy and suppress the original.

image.thumb.png.981a731eafed88d0ea56c76f0ddfff43.pngSo

2) Go into edit 'Edit cross section' Use'Project for the top and bottom surfaces of the cylinder, join with lines each side, trim and "Volia"

:rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.7b415897ce03efd853ffd6c95049c5cb.png

image.thumb.png.7d3712002d280d84883702e6c7c47f56.png

Edited by HDEAR

Thanks RJ and Harley,

Your methods are the same as what I have traditionally used (even though the method I showed above is different). I can create an intelligent Trimming Tool to achieve what I want, and possibly even a special intellishape with parameters, but I was curious whether there was already a tool available (or technique) that I wasn't aware of.

Malcolm