Having to re-set sheet metal orientation handle every time

HDEAR

Hi all,

When using setting up sheet metal handles so that I can get the bends to end up at specific locations, once I have made the selection, the setting seems to disappear.

If I decide to make another reference, then I have to go through the re-set once again. The video shows that ( sorry for my slow demo - cold morning and arthritis! :) )

Is there a way to make the sheet metal bend part remember my settings?

Thanks - Harley

I'm not 100%, but I don't think this can be stored as a default, it's meant to be a one-off change to solve complex sizing needs in the moment.

I would say:

a) Size in the other direction the second time :)

b) If this is something that changes really (really) often, make it parametric and do the angle/length calculation with a formula.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

b) If this is something that changes really (really) often, make it parametric and do the angle/length calculation with a formula.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Well, it doesn't happen all that often during the year, but now again I will need it often in one scene. I haven't worked all that much with parameters so I guess that would be the next thing to learn. Point is, how would you go setting up parameters to ( say ) adjust the jog height? Is that hard to do or is it a space mission?

Cheers

Harley

If it's a bend (not stock with cross section), then you can make a parameter that controls the length and apply it by filling in the length field in intellishape properties. 

If it's stock (with cross section), you can apply the parameter with a 2D sketch SmartDimension.

Thanks Josh,

That's helpful. Now I know how to set some parameters for stock or bend length.

The project I am working on at the moment is a tray which has all sorts of bends in various directions. I am currently playing with 'Curved stock' and using the sketch to control heights of bends whilst constraining them with angles. Bit of a learning curve, but once I master it I will post the result. My 'unknown' is that if I use curved stock controlled by sketch, will the unfold still take into account the K Factor, which in my sheet-metal subby's factory is 0.33.

image.thumb.png.8d4a6b438de5a29125014ee70d654b4e.png

Fun and games :)

Cheers

Edited by HDEAR