Shaded render anomalies again

Mike Hatch

Been down this road before, but here we go again.....

For a shaded render with properties of "draft" and "quick", the onscreen views, present different views, before a change was made and after.

Attached files -

"draft" is the assembly as it actually is now [after a mod to mirror a connector],

"quick" is showing the view before the mod (the small green terminal [ringed yellow] has been reversed),  

Repeated changes of the "draft" to "quick" properties, swap between the two views, that's all that changes draft-quick-draft-quick, it's as if the icd file has both versions of the view within it or something has not caught up.  The image "update" is what happens if I try to update it, it loses the view but the item bubbles stay, implying it's still there, just somehow hidden.

shaded render draft.jpg

shaded render quick.jpg

shaded render updated.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cary,

No we didn’t, we were just about to update to 2021 so we left it, the problem seems to be sorted in 2021.  We did send the files to the local reseller for support but as it was sorted in 2021 we did not spend too much time on it.

But ……. (there is always one of these !!)

Just found today that printing to .pdf files seems to be broken in 2021.

We have always used “PDFcreator”  as our go-to output for most things including IronCAD, and have used it successfully right through to IC2020.  In IC2021 we are seeing missing or partial renders in the output, on trying a second pass, the output renders are missing altogether and the BOM table fonts have changed, our filled logo is outline only.  A re-boot is required to return to some normality but the results end up the same, partial renders and then missing renders and changed fonts.

Our second seat colleague usually uses “Microsoft Print to PDF” (Win10 native) but this invariably crashes IC2021 with a zero bytes .pdf,  I’ve tried this with the same result.  I have also tried “CutePDF Writer”, but here the output is the same as “PDFcreator” at the second pass stage, I.E. no renders, changed fonts, some items outline only.

I’ll  get a package together and email it in, currently we are unable to output pdf files for our customers.

Attached file has partial render on second page and missing on third page.

6034-a - Waam 3D (GP Controls ) AMotion MDXL62GN3CB000 with Zimm Z10R and Combistop 023811Nxx.pdf

Hi Mike,

For the print to PDF, change the settings to Raster to see if that addresses your files. The default mode will try to use vector by default which will work for majority of the cases (which was a change in 2021). However if you have many images and shaded renderings, the raster may be the better print option to use. 

Let me know if that corrects it.

Thanks

Cary

We will need to look at the files if you are sending to support. We have not had reports on issues with the change (I had one related to the file size I believe and it taking longer due to a specific file with transparency). Once we have the files, we can take a look to see what is happening.

Thanks

Cary

On 3/19/2021 at 7:14 AM, alexaben said:

It didn't, all set to raster, all absent, with various text styles. 

- " greater part of the cases (which was a change in 2021) "- , on the off chance that it ain't broke don't fix it. ;- ) 

Records coming.

Hi Alexaben, 

Looks like you may also be suffering from mangled .pdf exports like ourselves, we sent sample files and have had a reply from Kevin - "I can confirm that this incident has been logged (Incident ID#: 114576) ", we have since escalated to to urgent.  Hopefully they will have something soon.

We have had an email from Blake in support advising (from another member) -

"Have they tried right-clicking on the ICD in Windows Explorer and Export to PDF. It uses the older logic of the export code but it looks like it is handling the images without any issue. "

For us there was no "Export to PDF", but we did notice that when you right click the .icd file, it has an entry in the properties box as "filename.pdf", click this and it will produce the pdf output for you, it seem to be correct and unmangled.

icd file right click pdf output.jpg

Edited by Mike Hatch
Update image

Yes that was the option we are referring to. We are investigating the print issue. The automatic generated (or Exported PDF that is also saved in the ICD file), is different code that we are trying to change to the print logic as the print is normally a better option. We need to find out why the print to pdf is having issues with this file. I tried Adobe PDF drivers and got a better result but still not fully correct. I did notice it took much longer to generate and it was a larger file in that process. 

We are still investigating the print issue with R&D.

Cary

Not wanting to confuse things, but now I’m thinking that this may actually be a Windows 10 problem and not particularly IronCAD 2021.

As mentioned before our go-to pdf utility was PDPCreator, but this now seems to be broken in several other programs as well with similar results in Word, Notepad, PowerLogic (our schematic capture) using PDF24, CutePDF and several others.

Microsoft Print to PDF crashes IronCAD but seems OK in others.